Replacing Bulkhead and Regulator on Weber Summit S-650

UNCMo96

Name or Nickame
UNCMo96
The TL:DR question is: if you are replacing the bulkhead/regulator on a natural gas grill do you need to use pipe dope on the connections inside the grill? When I look at the bulkhead I don't see pipe dope or teflon on the hose and manifold connections but it seems like I should use it?

Here's the backstory for those that are interested:

I have a Weber Summit S-650 that I've had since 2007. Last year I noticed the grill wasn't heating up anywhere near full temp (was getting only to 400 or 500). I replaced all the burner tubes and still no luck. This year it barely gets to 200. I had the Natural gas people come out and check the gas line and I was getting 6.4 inches of water column at the quick disconnect.

I called a shop to service the grill and the guy on the phone told me that it could be the regulator. He suggested turning on burners in succession and if the flames start to dwindle then theres your answer. I checked it out and low and behold the flames were dwindling.

Attachments

• 551908-1.jpg
    551908-1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180619_204012.jpg
    20180619_204012.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 38
I've never seen dope or Teflon on any Weber, but, if it makes you feel better, cant see how it would hurt. Just make sure you use the right type

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Brass to other connections quick answer is no but I always use pipe dope ,no worry about pipe dope breaking loose and getting into a orifice,been in the HVAC business since 1976 so I have layed a lot of pipe over the years

Back