Tallow Wrapped Brisket-Chuds BBQ

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chuds BBQ has a new video on direct heat brisket. It’s about 15 minutes long. Towards the end he tallow wraps the brisket. A popular idea recently being talked about by people who talk of such things. Listen to what BR states about the brisket big boys of bbq and tallow wrap. I’m not going to quit learning all I can while I wait for brisket prices to return to earth. Some Brethren stand on a rock and proclaim no beans in chili, I am next up on that rock saying no $5# brisket.
Then again sometimes I like beans in my chili.
Never say never.

I like how he and Evan are always making fun of Mad Scientist BBQ for all the moronic things he claims.

I enjoyed the video on the direct heat brisket. Not sure I'd ever attempt such- even if I had a Mini Chud box... I DO like that cooker though. You talk about the higher price of brisket- new steel prices keep me from building something like that. (like I need it- got more cookers than I have time to cook on right now- but the itch is still there).

"Mad Scientist BBQ" - his leather apron kills me every time. Must not be hot where he is... I'm in shorts, a worn out Lynyrd Skynyrd tee shirt and flip flops...he's wearing half a cow skin- and not sweating a bit.

Pink Floyd Prism Tee And worn out Saucony.

On that video he started with one dump of lit coals then added Fogo coal chunks. If I remember his grate is 17” above coals. He does several things differently in the direct fire CB video from his Offset video on Brisket. Good but different. When you look back at the old Pitmaster photos of the Carolinas, the early 20th Century political cookouts or community roundups they’re cooking over open pits shoveling coals. The same or similar effect can be obtained with a UDS-WSM-Bronco etc by removing water pan/deflector.

I guess it would be something like my UDS- but I do have a bit more ceiling space so it's not as "direct heat" as he has. 17" is tight-especially if you have actual fire going instead of charcoal- I sort of expected him to build his fire on one side and put the brisket on the other side. I like my drums- they appeal to me. But if I had a Mini Chud Box, I think I'd lean toward live fire or burning logs to coals and shoveling them into the firebox from a separate burn barrel/receptacle.

I’d have to go back and watch but think he specifically said no wood just Fogo Coals on this particular cook. I watched a crapton of videos last evening so may be wrong.

I continue to find it amazing (and entertaining) how much information he can pack into a 12 minute video. This whole barbecue knowledge thing is like a big long buffet to me. Take what you want and leave the rest. Don’t want green pea salad? Keep shuffling down the line fried okra and Mac n Cheese coming up.

Back