THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

KnucklHed BBQ

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Head KnucklHed
So I've been chosen to burn meat for my sis-in-law & best friend's anniversary party this saturday.

They've had everything I've ever cooked up so I wanted to try something different. :icon_smil

Safeway had pork loin half back sliced :confused::confused: on sale for $1.29/lb this week but it looked like the same cut of meat that the crown roast came from, butcher confirmed that but was all cleaned up for the night & told me to come back tomorrow and he'd have 2 ready for me.

Well there musta been some sort of mistake cuz when the wife picked em' up it was only $11.93 for BOTH crown roasts! The sticker before club card use said $47! Sweet!

Here's what I do'd to em' so far...

Made a "cure" of:
4TBS TQ
1TSP Homemade chipotle powder
1TSP dried basil
1/2TSP crushed red pepper
1/2TSP crunched up rosemarry
2TSP chili powder
1TSP garlic granuals

Lightly rubbed them and had about 4TBS of rub left

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

Let them sit for 24 hours in the garage... relax, it's about 15* in there, and the hanging deer was gettin' lonely. Meat was @ 32.8* and smelled incredible.

IMG_0294.jpg

My plan was to give these a little bit of time to dry cure and then turn that into a mild brine so that it's not over salted. I dumped the last 4TBS of rub into enough water to cover the racks.

Normaly I would bring the brine to a boil and let it steep to bring out the herbal flavors, but I wanted to try it cold and see what results I would get.

IMG_0295.jpg

And there they sit untill tomorow morning, I'll drain and rinse them and let them dry a bit before smoking.

Thanks for lookin! :smile:

looks good so far, good luck....

loved the deer hanging in the garage comment. that is farking cold!

Hmm, your sig... I'm a skinny cook... so... whadaya sayin?? =)

Cliffhangar mod!

Dun-dun-duuuun!!!

I figured it would be a massive post if I waited till after everything was done, and yeah, it's funner this way! :biggrin:

Now off to cut up a frozen deer!

Alrighty!! It turned out pretty stinking good if I do say so myself!

I did not stuff it with anything for the reason that Landarc mentioned, I don't stuff turkeys either stuffing can't hit temp before the bird is done - over cooking it isn't an option! =)

Ron, the TQ did make a difference in it... It gave it a little tiny bit of a ham'ish flavor but not too much, the color came out great too! The brine gave it nice flavor throughout and kept it moist, although if I were to do the same cut again, I would do it as a standing rib roast, it didn't have quite the juices running out that I know would normally be there in a whole uncut loin.

Also I was kinda worried about it not hitting temp so I left it on the grill till 155 and then foil'd it and put it in a warmed up cooler with blankets for about 45 min before everything else was ready, that prolly contributed to it not being quite as moist as I wanted it.

Here's some prono! Sorry for the crappy pics, everyone thought that I had drank too much eggnog with my picture taking for some BBQ forum... Phssshh! Whatever!:roll:

They look a bit darker than they were... but the color comes from the spritz I hit em' with during the cook, the little bit of honey & soy sauce browns em' up real nice

Thanks fer lookin! And thanks you to those who helped with ideas!

IMG_0341Large.jpg

IMG_0342Large.jpg

I forgot to snap a pic before I dug in! :biggrin:

IMG_0343Large.jpg

IMG_0344Large.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job on those roasts, looks good. One more thing, if you would prefer the bones look less black, you can always wrap foil over them, lets em stay whiter.

Back