THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JiveTurkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
JT
First things first: Go ahead and scroll down to look at the pics... Okay, done. Moving on.

As my mexican brethren can confirm, Tripas are a mexican delicacy. To clear up any confusion the word "tripas" does not mean "tripe" as we think of cow stomach used in dished like Menudo. Instead "tripas" are the actual intestines of the cow but since cows are herbivores they don't have a big intestine, just miles and miles of small intestine. Yea they look gross but they are OH SO GOOD and since I grew up eating tripas they take me back to a more simpler time when my grandparents were still alive and their house was filled with the smell of good food and loud kids. They are gone now, and someday so will I, but the traditions of my heritage will continue to live on so long as we share and enjoy what made us who we are.

Bon Appetite!

These are tripas after they have been cleaned:

IMG_0176.jpg

I did not get a pic of them being boiled but you get the jist, boiled first, then the frying in the pan begins:

IMG_0178.jpg

This is the real deal so you won't find "EVOO" in this dish, nope, it's pure lard all the way:

IMG_0179.jpg

Once they are done we make tacos with salsa, onion, and cilantro. Squeeze of lime and a cold beer. A nice way to spend a Sunday with my family.

IMG_0182.jpg

Pretty good pic for a iPhone. ;)

Sub that for macaroni and make mac & cheese for a party...stand back and just watch as the crowd starts to dig in. LOL

We do tripe quite a bit. Never have tried tripas...but not a chitterlings type of guy either.

Thank you, I always wanted to know what those tubular things were in the can of "fixins" that came with the beans.

I'm a Gringo that loves tripas. Near a golf course I play a lot I found a Mexican restaurant that serves tripas tacos. They are so good I order them every time I go there.

Is this the same thing as mondongo?

No. Mondongo is made with tripe which is the cow stomach but tripas are made with the cow's intestines and is different from chitterlings which are made from pig intestines.

Tripas are also grilled until nice and crispy.

Never tried tripas, have tried other intestine dishes and found them wanting though. It does look like it was cleaned well, which may have been an issue before. Good on ya' JT for keeping your family traditions alive.

Tripas are so delish, some good pico de gallo and a corn tortilla dipped in the same grease of the tripas, a touch of guacamole and your in heaven. Great looking tripas buddy. Next time when cooking tripas at the end when the tripas ard just about done, throw in some mojellas to deep fry delish.

That definitely looks very interesting! I have never tried it, but would be more than willing too!! Could you describe their taste and texture at all? Thank you.

Jacob

3rd Generation Native Texan here of Hispanic descent. The literal translation is intestine, or bowels or gut.

And it is an acquired taste, which I don't have..

That definitely looks very interesting! I have never tried it, but would be more than willing too!! Could you describe their taste and texture at all? Thank you.

Jacob

I'm not sure I could describe the taste since they are unique but they do have a strong flavor and are somewhat chewy. The more they fry down the less chewy they are but if you fry them too much then they burn. The frying gives them a little crunchiness but they still have a chewy texture. Add in the spice of the salsa and the bite of citrus, life is good.

I'm a Gringo that loves tripas. Near a golf course I play a lot I found a Mexican restaurant that serves tripas tacos. They are so good I order them every time I go there.

Lots of good eats on Federal Blvd! (I used to live in Denver)

LOVE IT!!! :clap2: I do a chitlin cook once a year. Similar.Boil first.We then coat in seasoned flour and fry in lard.OMG they are TASTEE!Some of my buddies eat em boiled with vinegar,hot sauce and saltines.I prefer the fried ones.I ALWAYS put a few kernels of whole corn in a few to weed out the skweemish!!!:laugh:

Back