How long does bacon grease last in the fridge?

My wife freezes it in an ice cube tray, puts it in a a baggie and pulls out what’s needed to use. About a tablespoon per

Now that right there is COOL! See what I did there? :becky: What a Great idea!
Thanks! :thumb:

We have a mason jar in the fridge and we have been using the same jar for at least 15 years.
Now that said the dripping are not 15 years old as we use the stuff quit often.

always adding always taking out.

I use a stainless grease pot that has a strainer screen. It stays on the counter next to the stove. Never had any issue with it going bad.

We have a mason jar in the fridge and we have been using the same jar for at least 15 years.
Now that said the dripping are not 15 years old as we use the stuff quit often.

always adding always taking out.

Doesn't that make the stuff at the bottom of the jar 15 years old?
I do pretty much the same though.

The experts on Google say:
6 months fridge
1 year freezer

What my reality says
Good until smelly or corrupted

Growing up Mom kept a jar by stove , as well often just letting it cool in cast iron skillet (also left on stove). It would opaque overnight, heat and go the next morning. It would often be Bacon/Sausage grease, not just bacon. A Folgers coffee can under sink captured excess from jar or skillet.

We ate fried foods every meal, mostly garden things. Everyone had big gardens

The better it's strained and filtered, the longer it will last.
Its the little solid pieces that cause it to go rancid.
I've read it'll be good for 6 months or so.

I've had bacon grease in a metal container by the stove for years. As previously stated, it's gotta be strained when you're pouring the hot grease in. I have no idea how old some of it is. I get to the end of it once in a while. I'm sure it can go bad at some point, but bacon grease doesn't sit around too long here at casa de gtr.

Frank's sauce + bacon grease = great wings, esp. with Tony C's applied hours before cooking.

The better it's strained and filtered, the longer it will last.
Its the little solid pieces that cause it to go rancid.
I've read it'll be good for 6 months or so.

The Aluminum "Grease" container that sat by my Mother's stove when I was growing up had a very fine filter piece on the top that caught all the little bits left over from frying bacon. She cleaned that, as needed, but what was in the actual container was very clean. Never went into the Refrigerator.

In a refrig, I'd think it would keep a lot longer than the 6 months from "Google"....... probably indefinitely. I doubt many of those authors grew up with a "Grease" container by the stove, but I could be wrong.

I would only keep it about 6 months but I always use it up way before then .

Never lasted that long at my childhood home.....so no idea. We don't cook enough bacon now to save it.....once a week or less Now, I keep a big bottle of Olive Oil on the counter for cooking and it doesn't last long enough to have issues.

The experts on Google say:
6 months fridge
1 year freezer

What my reality says
Good until smelly or corrupted

Growing up Mom kept a jar by stove , as well often just letting it cool in cast iron skillet (also left on stove). It would opaque overnight, heat and go the next morning. It would often be Bacon/Sausage grease, not just bacon. A Folgers coffee can under sink captured excess from jar or skillet.

We ate fried foods every meal, mostly garden things. Everyone had big gardens

You tried to find a Folgers coffee can lately? Thanks. That's the way my Mom did it too.

Back