another party advice thread... 150 people... trailer on site

nachos4life

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Been asked to quote a party. They want us to bring the trailer there and serve from our vending window probably with the pit puffing smoke for effect.

expecting 150 people. wants me for 2 hours. He estimates he wants to serve half the people pulled pork sandwiches and half the people brisket sandwiches and two sides (bbq baked beans, and potato salad). They provide drinks and cutlery. He will pay up front.

If I was serving and charging by walk up customers at a regular event I'd be charging about $14 for the a brisket sandwich and two sides and $12 for a pork sandwich and two sides. So probably $1950 if split evenly... I know your cost is gonna be different than mine for a bunch of reasons, but am I missing something in pricing this or does that make sense? It is about $13 per guest. We usually do meats by the lb for drop off catering so this is a bit different for us.
thanks!

What happens and who looks bad when you run out of pork (or brisket) and the other half of the group wanted some. They will say " That caterer ran out" which is bad for you. If I'm on site then I price based on everyone being able to have what ever they want and I make enough to cover myself. Bring it to the client as such. If I'm doing what you are with 3 sides I'd be at $17.49pp for pork, brisket and 3 sides. I do also charge labor fees for on site catering which usually start around $450.00 on top of the $17.49 food pricing. So I'd come in around $3073.50. This allows guests to come back for seconds and while not advertised as such they pretty much can get all they can eat. If they feel the $450 labor which covers all our equipment, supplies and labor for set up, clean up afterward (basically all the things I would not have if I just dropped the food off to them) then I price it as a drop off which would be portion controlled and no seconds for $12.75pp and I move my focus to getting more jobs for that day.

What happens and who looks bad when you run out of pork (or brisket) and the other half of the group wanted some. They will say " That caterer ran out" which is bad for you. If I'm on site then I price based on everyone being able to have what ever they want and I make enough to cover myself. Bring it to the client as such. If I'm doing what you are with 3 sides I'd be at $17.49pp for pork, brisket and 3 sides. I do also charge labor fees for on site catering which usually start around $450.00 on top of the $17.49 food pricing. So I'd come in around $3073.50. This allows guests to come back for seconds and while not advertised as such they pretty much can get all they can eat. If they feel the $450 labor which covers all our equipment, supplies and labor for set up, clean up afterward (basically all the things I would not have if I just dropped the food off to them) then I price it as a drop off which would be portion controlled and no seconds for $12.75pp and I move my focus to getting more jobs for that day.

very helpful. Thank you!

Back