Wedding for 175

LakeRat Bbq

This will be my first big catering gig so I wanna make dang sure I'm doing the calculations right. I'm doing brisket and pulled pork. Someone else is doing the sides I don't know what they are just that there will be three sides.

So here's what I'm thinking 7 briskets around 15lbs, and 10 8lbs butts. I separate my briskets and pretty aggressively trim almost all the fat off, so I'm gonna end up less than 15 a brisket after I trim. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track! Thanks!

You need to be thinking ounces of each cooked meat per person. Then you have to consider buffet or served, sandwiches or plated. Both brisket and pork should have about a 50% yield based on untrimmed raw weight. Most guests will want some of each meat. If serving I'd offer 3-4 ounces of each. If buffet probably more brisket. Best bet is to explain what could happen then let the buyer decide how much and if they want leftovers. Bump their estimate of each by at least 10%.

It's all in how you decide to cover your bases. If you are serving buffet style and guests serving themselves and you don't want to run out of one of the meats prior to everyone going through the buffet you will need about 40-50lbs (cooked) of each meat. If you go with less you may run out of one or the other. I did a wedding two weeks ago for 135 guests and we went through 5 14lb average raw briskets and 8 butts 8lb average plus about 30lbs of smoked chicken. Your area may also be a determining factor in how much of each meat you would use also.

Back