Advise on Turkey Cook Plans

MFL

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Purchased a 20lb turkey and planned on spatchcocking. In the process I decided to 1/4" out so now I have 2 leg quarters & 2 Breasts. I have them in the fridge dry brining with Harvest Brine.
I am figuring approximate times for the leg quarters to be around 4 hours and the breasts around 3 hours at 250 degree on my Stumps Baby. Do these times sound about right? I would like the Breast to be 160 & the leg 1/4 to be 180 when pulled. Should I cook at higher temp?
Just concerned they won't be ready when our planned dinner time hits. Is there a good way to hold turkey without drying it out?
Any advise would be appreciated.

No harm in cranking up the temp to 300 and then check temp. As far as holding the turkey - you can always wrap in foil and put in a cooler. It's not like beef or pork - but it will hold for a good while.

I like to cook Poultry at 275-300.

If you want crispy skin, up your temps to 300-325. Start off with your skin as dry as possible, coat with a layer of fat - oil, butter, or I use duck fat. Baste every 45 minutes with melted butter.

Thanks guys. I will cook around 300 and shorten my time estimate to 3 1/2 hours for leg quarters & 2 1/2 for breasts. I will give myself a 1/2 hour window and put in my cooler if I'm early.
Wife gets very pissed when the meat isn't ready, sure wish I had a method of holding meat for extended periods.

Back