Yoder wichita firebox grate too high?

eurekasmoker

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Lalo
Hi folks

Just got a used wichita and in the process of cleaning it. I noticed that the firebox charcoal grate is a bit high and wanted to ask if it should be lower or leave it as is? If it should be lower how can i cut it?

B9GbRJ0.jpg

I'd try it first and find out.
There is a lengthy thread somewhere here detailing how ta get a Yoder ta run correctly....

-D

Yours does appear to be a bit higher than the pics shown here :https://www.gentrysbbq.com/products/yoder-smokers-loaded-wichita

In the two pics that show it with the door open, it looks like it is about as high as the bottom of the door seal/stop metal. Your fire grate looks closer to the meat grate holders also.

Maybe someone on here with a Wichita can measure for you to be sure because pics can be deceiving.

The cheapest way to cut your piece of expanded metal shorter if needed is to buy a cheap 4 1/2" grinder that comes with both cut-off discs and grinding wheels.

Make sure you leave enough room underneath for air flow and ash pile. I bought this one for some work on my smoker and it was fine for $35:

https://www.amazon.com/Grinder-7-5-Amp-Grinding-Cutting-Auxiliary/dp/B0972M5J77/ref=sr_1_25?crid=1GBAIZU04KIX3&keywords=4%22%2Bgrinder&qid=1652902918&sprefix=4%2Bgrinder%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-25&th=1

Or....if you know someone who has a grinder or acetylene torch, buy them a 12 pack and mark your grate where you want it cut. :-D

Use it and see how it works.

Ignore all keyboard bbq wizards.
Trial and error "is the only way" to learn a "new to you" pit, because nobody has the same fuel or ambient conditions you have.

It's to high. Want take much to lower it. I purchased a stainless charcol basket off of e-bay for my Yoeder off set. Fits and works very well. Just a thought.

Seems high but where is the grate height relative to the air intake on the door? The grate shouldn’t block any of the air inlet.

Back