WSoBBQ 2015 - The Arroewhead Experience

We never made it to the old site, so this was our one and only experience.

I took a walk over to the dark side on Friday night with another team. THAT was something to see for sure. It was a haul and took some time, but something that I'm glad I took the time to do. Can't explain that. Just have to see it.

Overall....it was awesome.
The 2nd place 180 in brisket on Sunday made it all better. :becky:

I thought I was prepared for Friday night. I...was...not. Incredible is all I can say. I wish we would have gone to the OBR event and that is definitely on my list for next year!

oddly enough the negative issues we had around us were all due to fellow competitors. The slope of the lot carried water from inconsiderate people right through everyone's sites. We had water streams running through our area more often then not. Numerous teams asked the guys doing it to be a little more aware but they didn't seem to care. Accidents happen but dumping your dish water and constantly draining coolers into other people's sites is something I never thought I would see from a BBQ crowd.

We were checked in immediately and had staff around constantly with all our needs handled very well.

Anyone have any pics of the grounds, crowds, and setups for someone who has the AR on their bucket list?

Nope, but close your eyes and picture our area.,40x100 with 5 20x40 tents setup in an L shape. The band was on the back inside edge of the L shape,on a stage. In the corner opposite them in the little L shape was the bar area. $1200 worth of booze and beer. The outside edge of the L shape tents had sides on them, while the front was open. We had white picket fence to keep folks on the outside, my truck and trailer was setup on the opposite side on the L shape tents, to form another boundary. Had a couple fire pits going in the open area with some tall tables to stand up to. The opposite end of the band area we had table and chairs to set and eat at.

I had a piece of picket fence between the tent and the trailer, in which I could see another corporate tent behind us that had a big open area gated off by 3 high straw bales. Now lines of youngins were line up between the two of us, heck even had a girl tell me I was just adorable.:icon_blush: She just want a place to party and I just needed to keep the buffet line full.:doh:

The coolest place was OBR campus, $20 for all you could eat/drink with a live band.

This was my first year competing in the royal. Was a guest 3-4 times at kemper. Overall I had a great time, my biggest complaint was parking. we had at least 3 different people PAY 20$ to park, drove around for an hour and a half and finally just left because they couldn't park. When I arrived friday around 4:00 with my A lot pass, i was shuffled around and outside the stadium TWICE before I finally said eff it and hopped a curb and parked in L lot. We were on the end of C lot and all our neighbors were courteous, and never had problems with ice,water, porta johns etc. I had a lot of fun friday, maybe to much fun lol

Two Biggest issues that need work of next year:
1) Parking in A lot - There was no reason they couldn't also have a competitor lot on the west side for the F and G teams as well. That needs to change.
2) There should not be two separate judging areas with one side being 95% of the invitational teams, and the other the dark side. That renders the results highly questionable. Either we are all competing against each other or not.

And a third, need more places to drain or dispose of ash/fluids. Got so tired of folks draining coolers and dumping dish pans that drained right through our site.

Considering the size of the event I thought I was very well organized with a new venue there will always be some kinks to work out. My only complain is the parties in the invite side (f lot) hard to focus on a cook when you have a band playing right next to you until 1:30 am.

Considering the size of the event I thought I was very well organized with a new venue there will always be some kinks to work out. My only complain is the parties in the invite side (f lot) hard to focus on a cook when you have a band playing right next to you until 1:30 am.

In the G lot it was quiet at quiet time in our area at least but the team from Texas 6 spots away rattled the walls on our trailer ,but as soon as quiet time hit it was quiet .

It took me 7 years of stumbling around Kemper to start figuring out what was what - - - then they moved! :shock:

Any way, my only problems were the parking, the distance from $20 parking to the contest grounds (G Lot, in particular), what happens at awards if it rains and my personal big gripe: Stairs to climb from the judges' parking (E Lot) makes it kinda tough on an old fat handicapped guy. :mad:

On the plus side the spots seemed bigger, plenty of aisles to cut through and #1 for a judge: in two days of judging, not one box broke while being passed around my tables!

The only concern I have about the two judging areas is that there were the same amount of non-certified judges at each end?????

The answer to that would be yes in all likelihood. The judges were sorted into lines of master judges, certified judges, and non-certified judges. With two each going per table, one side then the other. I was seated pretty early so I don't know how the ratio was towards the end.

The new venue plus the size of the event presented some unique challenges to those organizing how the judging was to be set up and run.

There are a number of obvious difficulties with how they decided to do the judging.

These are legitimate complaints.

So what to do about it besides venting here?

If you were there, fill out a survey that they either sent you or was in your packet and send it in.

Can't find your survey? Just get the info with team name and space number off to the Royal.

From what I heard, there is a 3 year contract with Arrowhead - 2 more chances to improve the quality of the judging process.

But they won't know if they don't hear from you. Vent where it will do some good - right back to the event.

Back