Work from home lunch

Aggie12

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Aggie
Super easy lunch while working from home. Kroger had choice chuck roasts on sale for like $2/lb.

Seasoned it up with some slap ya mama, course black pepper, and dried onion the night before and set the kettle for 2 zone cooking with some unlit charcoal, a starter cube, and a water pan.

Woke up, lit the cube, added some hot water to the water pan and waited for the charcoal to get going and then did my morning workout. Took a few momentary breaks to tweak the vent settings to dial it in to around 300 degrees.

Finished my workout threw the meat on and two chunks of hickory, and took a shower. Have a remote digital thermometer, so was able to monitor temps with the occasional glance while working.

Here is a picture part way through the cook:
50702680571_a03b6db96d_z.jpg

Was planning on wrapping at least for a short period of time, but it took awhile for the bark to really setup and seemed like it was on pace to be finished in plenty of time for lunch, so didn’t end up wrapping.

Started probing at about 195F internal at about 11 am or so. After a couple tests it probed tender at roughly 11:30. Took it out and tented with foil to rest and cool until noon.

Sliced up nicely:
50702686311_be39d93d19_z.jpg

Threw some on a couple pieces of homemade sourdough, with some sharp white cheddar, with mustard and a little green leaf lettuce:
50701947303_1b3625500f_z.jpg

Ended up a touch salty and a little over-seasoned, but was overall really good. Intentionally went a little heavier than normal on seasonings knowing I was going to slice it up for sandwiches, but would cut that back some next time. The first words out of my wife’s mouth after 1 bite were “woah, that is fantastic!”

Remote working has lots of positives, doesn’t it?! Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Now that's a good day of work! Have never sliced chuck roast for sandwiches, like the idea. Sandwich looks great, keep it up.

Better than Brisket done right, that looks right:thumb:

I like 'bout everything about this post.... but this is music to my ears (and probably yours, too).

The first words out of my wife’s mouth after 1 bite were “woah, that is fantastic!”

Well done. Looks delicious.

Looks great and that little extra seasoning should make that sandwich pop or better yet that WOAH :-D

Can't beat that price on chuck roast. I'd have bought all they had.

Last week, for the first time ever, I smoked a chuck roast with the intentions of ending with pulled beef for tacos. Plans changed mid cook, and was forced to put into foiled pan at 160 and into the oven at 200. Added a can of french onion soup and one can consomme and one sliced onion. Returned 4 hours later and kicked oven up to 325. The pan juices were out of this world. Had the idea to add more ingredients and messed that up by adding Worcestershire sauce. Should have left it alone. A couple of hours later the roast was 200 and wife and I were starving. Roast nowhere close to being able to shred, so sliced it was. Brisket like, but different, but good. Will definitely do again.

Thanks,

Robert

Back