Wildomar Ultimate BBQ Turn In Boxes

all the boxes look great! I love chicken that looks like chicken.

the brisket box looks like it could use some work but youll hit that next time when you have..time!!

lookin' good!

I am not a CBJ, but, I was thinking...

chicken-9
ribs-9
pork-8
brisket-8

8's are because I like to see the meat cut faces appear un-sauced, I disagree with the shiny part of the meat being necessary. But, I have heard repeatedly that the meat has to be shiny.

Presentation at this point isn't really something I would worry about much more if I were you. Look at that, there's three 7's and one 6! I think most of us would be thrilled. By the time the low scores are knocked out, I'm sure your presentation scores averaged 8.0000 + which is great.

Here are my scores:

Chicken 8 9 8 9 8 7 - 42nd place
Ribs 8 8 8 8 8 6 - 8th place
Pork 8 8 9 9 9 8 - 19th place
Brisket 9 9 8 7 7 9 - 14th place

Last edited:
Here are my scores:

Chicken 8 9 8 9 8 7 - 42nd place
Ribs 8 8 8 8 8 6 - 8th place
Pork 8 8 9 9 9 8 - 19th place
Brisket 9 9 8 7 7 9 - 14th place

I'd rate your boxes at Chicken - 8 Ribs - 9 Pork 7-8 (fill the box!) and brisket 8. With the appearance scores you posted the judges clearly didn't like your chicken and were iffy on your pork & brisket. What were your taste and tenderness scores?

CK 887 978 878 967 877 778
RI 878 899 898 876 899 677
PK 878 888 988 978 987 877
BR 977 988 888 788 778 987

Anybody wanna explain the 677 guy on ribs?

It's too bad the judge who gave you the 6 didn't offer any feedback. I think judges who give low score outside of the other 5 judges should give comment card.
I think the scores are fair with that being said. Except for the 6's

Looking at your ribs I think the low scores are more about taste. Three judges loved it while three thought it was so so. I am a firm believer that to some judges, taste and tenderness are almost the same.

RI (Taste/Tend) 78 99 98 76 99 77

I'm not a judge, but if I ever become one I will judge the appearance of the meat based on how much it looks like I want to eat it. I could give a flip about pieces being irregular or not straight.

Bigmista I give you 9's on all, but then if everyone had my opinion on this matter I suppose we wouldn't need to ask each other for advice would we.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Haveing not tasted your presented samples I can only give thoughts of things I have seen while judging and then you will have to decide what applies and what does not. I judge quite a lot and just now prepariing to try my hand at cooking. When I look at your rib scores the thing that jumps out to me the most is that half of the judges gave you 9's and the other half gave you 7's. So why? Could just be bad luck of the draw and you got a table that either were very different in experience or preferred taste. But the the thing I think you need to do is ask yourself the question did I give them similar samples. Only you can answer that. As I have judged I have found myself sometimes trying to naw a piece of meat off of a bone only to look across the table to see the same box sample falling off the bone. We got different samples from the same team. Have had similar experience with taste profiles as well. This not the norm. Most of the time the samples seem very similar but not always. Something to ask yourself. If you rule that out then 3 of the judges were just wacked but now you have to wonder which 3. :rolleyes:

yeah probably a dick in person as well

I thought the same thing...
.................***
..............*.......*
Total:.... *.........*
.............**......**
...............*.....*
...............*.....*
...............*.....*
..............*.......*

That Chicken looks damn good and those Ribs look good too. No reason for the 6.

Sorry in advance Mods...:becky:

There's a reason that they drop the lowest score, and he/she defines the need
for this.

Back