Who's up before dawn putting meat on?

Yes-mom is awesome. And I'm always glad to cook for people when the meat is provided. These holidays are more memorable when a large hunk of meat is involved.

I lit the cooker at 5:30, had the butt on there a few minutes before sunrise. It's my first time cooking a boston butt... I'm excited.
You'll love it! Are you pulling or slicing?

I put some butts in a drum around 4am, hung out about half an hour, said phark it, slapped on an auber and went back to sleep. Got some ribs goin now on the wonderful natural flow of a uds!
Blythe that's what ATC's were made for...SLEEP. Mine collects dust but i'm no good to anyone if i'm dead tired.

Pulling! I plan to mix in a little vinegar/tomato based sauce and have plenty more on the side.

Here's Keith's famous PP finishing and dipping sauce recipe....mix half in the pull and reserve some for sammies. Good stuff!

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup catsup ( I use all natural- no corn syrup)
TB red pepper flakes
TS worstershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
TS salt
TS cayenne pepper

Simmer after you make it and again before serving....will thicken

Fwismoker- have you had any luck with lower temp cooks in your BPS uds? Mine loves 275-300 and that's what I like to cook at, I've been able to keep it 250-260 this am, but I was hoping for lower for this roast.

Up at 5, 2 Double Smoked Hams on. Trying the Sweet Kiss of Death Injection on one, hope it turns good.

Fwismoker- have you had any luck with lower temp cooks in your BPS uds? Mine loves 275-300 and that's what I like to cook at, I've been able to keep it 250-260 this am, but I was hoping for lower for this roast.
Yea you can make it do under 250 no problem but it's in how you build your fire.

I'd load up the basket maybe 3/4 and just light a few coals with torch on the edge of the basket. Get it up to about 225 and just crack one of the holes.

I never just dump in lit coals over unlit...i let it just burn across the basket. Also like the holy diffuser on the upper ubolts

I was up at 0400. Butt & a Brisket on for later today, ham goes on to heat up, no fresh ham this year:(
This is the first cook for me on my Caldera, so far, I like it....

Been up since 5am. Two 5lb butts went on the Pit Barrel at 6, and 3 racks of baby backs went on the Big Ugly UDS at 8.

No ATCs here, so sleep in any long enough form to do any good is out of the question. 15-20 minutes here or there helps ALOT though! :mrgreen:

Up at 7 a.m. and the 8 lb. prime rib went on the Primo at 8 a.m. The temp finally leveled out at 207*, which is about as low as I can get it. Looking at a 4-4.5 hour cook until 135 degrees. Got two people that wanted well done. I told them medium is as far as I go. I can always dip theirs in some hot au jus for a minute or so. Happy Easter everyone, and happy cooking.

Up at 7 a.m. and the 8 lb. prime rib went on the Primo at 8 a.m. The temp finally leveled out at 207*, which is about as low as I can get it. Looking at a 4-4.5 hour cook until 135 degrees. Got two people that wanted well done. I told them medium is as far as I go. I can always dip theirs in some hot au jus for a minute or so. Happy Easter everyone, and happy cooking.

Hehe, love it. When I have people over and grill steaks, I leave the grill going when the steaks come off and tell those who want midwell to well to help themselves to it.

Sunday morning I was up at 4:30, lit the WSM and had the butt on by 5:30 so I could get ready to be at sunrise service by 6:15. IT hit 195 by around 11:30 and the bone twisted out squeaky clean at 11:45. Rested for 30 minutes, poured off the juice from the foil pan so my son-in-law could pull it. Poured half the juice on the pulled pork, along with a bottle of HEB Carolina style sauce. My 2-year old grandson took one bite and broke into a big grin - "Yummmy, Grandpa". Made my day.

Back