Whole Hog

Smoke-Heat-Fire

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Smoke-Heat-Fire
Hey Guys
I am new to the forum so take it easy on me! My question is I am planning on making a 80lb whole hog on my pallet grill in two days. I have made some before but they always too dry or a little tough. What cooking and internal temps would you guys recommend and what other tips if you have some.HELP

THANK YOU

we talking about a pellet or pallet grill? I feel like those could be two totally different things :p

Done a couple of hogs on a cinder block pit. We cooked to around 185-190 and started checking for tenderness vs temp. once the shoulders and hams were tender we pulled it.

As for the loins, they are very easy to dry out. Many folks put logs or some other insulator under the loins to keep the heat off. ALso have seen folks put bacon over them to keep them moist.

We've done skin on and skin off. Skin on has the most moisture in our experience as it acts like a bowl to keep the juices in. We cooked skin side down.

Enjoy and post pictures!

Sorry about that a pellet Grill. What do you mean by checking for tenderness? Do you mean pulling apart or something else.

I guess the main thing that we need to understand to help you better, is what is your process? Do you normally cook skin down, or do you do racer style? What temps do you normally cook at? Are you mopping, etc? If we know how you currently do it, we can make suggestions to help you get the results you are looking for......

And yes, we like pictures!

I usually cook skin side down. I spray it with apple juice soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. For the cooking temps i have tried 180 for about 24 hours and I have tried 275.
To me it looked like the 275 was better. And i have a big water pan in smoker.

I have done plenty of hogs

On small hogs use small pieces of wood under loins with bacon over top to protect from heat. 275-300 is good cooking temp and tent whole hog in foil when you get color you want. Shoot for 195-200 in shoulders and 185-190 in hams. I inject before during and after cookjng to keep main meats moist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done plenty of hogs

On small hogs use small pieces of wood under loins with bacon over top to protect from heat. 275-300 is good cooking temp and tent whole hog in foil when you get color you want. Shoot for 195-200 in shoulders and 185-190 in hams. I inject before during and after cookjng to keep main meats moist

This^^^. I’ll add, that packing sausage around the loins works well, too.

Back