THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's never a fail if you learn something,so considering that many of us also learned from your experience,it's far from failure. Thanks for posting the pics.
And a great big "way to go" for the son.:clap2:

A few things..

1. FROZEN Whole Pig.

2. FROZEN Pork Butz.

Find a butcher that will give you a fresh killed hog and the same with the butts. That is half the problem.

Landarc was right with his suggestion. The La Caja China is a super duper pork cooking machine. Saves you hours of digging a hole and digging the meat up again AND you use a lot less fuel... what was that pic with a tonne of wood in the hole???:shock:

Glad you salvaged the situation, but fresh is best, especially for an event like this.

Cheers!

Bill

A few things..

1. FROZEN Whole Pig.

2. FROZEN Pork Butz.

Just for clarity, the frozen pulled pork was a fresh butt when I cooked it. I just freeze the leftovers in family size portions to eat later. I will seek out a fresh pig next time I cook one.

I did learn a lot. Not sure I will try this method again. I did it because I thought I would do all the prep before the family arrived and spend more time with them, and for the most part it did work that way. I think next time I will make a block pit and just tend the fire. Many told me at the beginning that would be better and perhaps I should have listened. The in-ground method uses a tremendous amount of wood, and I apparantly did not use enough still. For all the wood I used, I could have cooked for a lot of days in the BYC.

Back