THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
If you read my other thread you know I'm doing a whole beef tenderloin on Xmas Eve and then a boneless rib roast on Xmas Day. I WAS planning to sous vide both, but now I'm thinking I might only sous vide the rib roast.

I'm thinking 225 on the FPG-500 pellet grill until IT of about 125 ..remove and rest while I turn the grill up to 550 … use a compound butter and slather the roast and return to cooker to develop a crust and pull around 132 or so.

Game plan sound good? Other suggestions?
How do you guys like preparing your whole tenderloin?

for me, I like to smoke until I hit around 115-119. Pull rest, then sear at high temp for about 2 minutes per side. Perfect medium rare that way. Don't like to overcook tenderloin. No fat to save the day.

Yeah - my thinking was pulling around 120 or even 125 at such low and slow temps there wouldn't be much carry over temp. I'd keep monitoring it during the rest before the sear though to be sure.

I like your new strategy better than sous vide. I love sous vide, don't get me wrong, but with tenderloin i never get the crust i want no matter how i finish it, you risk overcooking it leaving it on the grill/CI pan/etc too long..

I'm cooking 2 tenderloins tomorrow for 12. Last night i trimmed and cut out filets. I've done whole loin roasts many times, and the problem i have had is inconsistent tenderness. Sometimes, no matter how you cook the whole loin you get a chewier texture than you want (but it always turns out pretty good if not great). With individual filet Mignon steaks you have the advantage of:
1. Getting a great seared crust on both sides of the steak - ( i use SPOG with liberal salt and let them sit in the fridge open air for half a day plus which helps the crust even more)
2. You control the doneness of each steak and can do some medium rare and a few others more medium for those in the family that prefer it
3. And i have to admit it - before i rub each steak i inject with unsalted butter and butchers prime beef injection. Not much, maybe a tablespoon or too in the center of each filet. The difference it makes, is ridiculous. Cheating i know, i feel guilty...this is my confession.

I just find the final product is better, and the difficulty of the cook is unchanged, so this is what im going with. Let's post results in this thread Sat night to see how each method turned out? I do this every year and have been tweaking, so some additional insights will help...

Yeah it was your post in the other thread that got me thinking about the process in general. I'm definitely sticking with a whole roast, but I do think this will yield a better result than sous vide for the simple fact that a big benefit of sous vide is the tenderizing process. Tenderloin doesn't need that.

Injecting the tenderloin isn't a bad idea either. I do that with all my briskets, and if you think about it while the tenderloin is massively more tender, the amount of intramuscular fat is pretty similar.

I'll also be salting the day before with red boat sauce which I think adds a very nice level of additional salty umami flavor.

Yeah it was your post in the other thread that got me thinking about the process in general. I'm definitely sticking with a whole roast, but I do think this will yield a better result than sous vide for the simple fact that a big benefit of sous vide is the tenderizing process. Tenderloin doesn't need that.

Injecting the tenderloin isn't a bad idea either. I do that with all my briskets, and if you think about it while the tenderloin is massively more tender, the amount of intramuscular fat is pretty similar.

I'll also be salting the day before with red boat sauce which I think adds a very nice level of additional salty umami flavor.

The advance salting is crucial. I agree about the tenderization with that process vs sous vide. Ive done both multiple times and had better results offset grilling and searing off (by far).

The butter/butchers injection is overkill, but is basically an insurance policy. It certainly doesn't hurt, and every time i've done it its been beneficial. I inject prior to rubbing, so the tenderloin sits salted and injected for half a day+ which helps tenderization even more in my experience. I don't blow it up with injection like a brisket, i just do it to complement the meat, like i said maybe a tablespoon or so per filet or every few inches..

Also, i bought Choice tenderloins....I don't know that i would change anything if they were prime, but that's noteworthy as far as injecting is concerned. The loins aren't super marbled and can use the help.

Pending how you want the meat the internal temp should go up 5* or more during the rest while you are waiting to sear it and Since it has already rested you don't need to rest after the sear

Back