THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gimmethecash

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Steven
I thought you farkers might enjoy another one of these threads, plus I expect I’ll see some good advice if history is any indication.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be investing in a PG pretty soon and I could use a little advice on which to buy. I’m looking for convenience and quality/reliability; I’d like to stay under $2K USD, but (yes you MAK lovers) I could be swayed to spend more for quality. I don’t need it as a grill, I’ve got enough grills.

My wife has decreed that for a new cooker to come, another must go (she learned that from me, as I always tell her something has to go to make room for any new stuff she buys, so it’s fair).

I’m in the market for a PG to use for small jobs like smoking steaks and burgers, but also for when I don’t have time to feed the stick burner (which is not under consideration for replacement) for ribs/butts/brisket/etc, especially for long cooks. Mostly it’s me and my wife, sometimes plus 5-10 friends (rarely more), and two offspring in their 20’s when they’re around.

Here are the candidates for replacement, in no apparent order:

* Cookshack Amerique electric smoker - currently used for finishing roasts/brisket/butts, makes great jerky
* Otto Wilde Over Fired Broiler - searing machine, gets limited use
* Weber Genesis gasser - workhorse that’s hard to put on this list, quick & easy, great for searing/griddling/quick burgers/thin chops/light grilling/big groups

My stick burner and M16 charcoal grill will stay (cold, dead hands, blah blah).

Based on your need/budget... no ifs, ands or buts... I recommend the MAK 1 Star. Solid solid American made cooker. Fantastic smoke output. Aluminized steel under high quality powder coating... means even down the road w/ a few chips/scratches you’ll never have to deal with rust. Comes with the Pellet Boss controller which is highly programmable and is the only controller to accept industrial grade k-style probes (robust and accurate). Plus buying a MAK brings you into the MAK family which is a great place to belong. I could go on and on...

No, I do not work for MAK... lol. Just a highly satisfied and happy MAK family member.

I say give it a few weeks and see the real world reviews on the Weber SmokeFire.

IF it works as it is said to, I would get rid of everything but the stick burner and M16...

amen

Seriously considering MAK (1 or splurge for 2 star) and yeah I’m also interested in the Smokefire, but it’s a first-year product currently, which makes me a bit leery.

Also on my short list is Cookshack’s PG500 and (though I’d need a reason to seriously up my budget) the FEC100.

The FEC-100 is a smoking beast! If you don’t care about grilling then look for a good used one in your price range.

If you also want to grill, MAK, Memphis, Rectec and the new Weber are all solid choices.

Own a MAK 1 Star, splurged on the Flame Zone because it's like super charging the grill, heats up quicker and more fuel efficient. 18 months in, close to a ton of pellets burned and it's most likely the first and last PG I'll ever need to buy, well unless I want a smaller unit for Camping and tailgating (Mini MAK). Very happy with how it cooks, the smoke profile it produces, was more than I wanted to spend but I'm only going to cry once on this one.

Last edited:
Back