When and what do you cook on your offset

I've seen a few folks talk about using an offset on a deck or finished porch. I would personally not do this due to fire risk and mess.

To answer op's question, pretty much everything you cook in your oven in the kitchen can be cooked in an offset stick burner.

This is one of the reasons I bought an M1 so that I could try out stick burning on a smaller scale but also have something that could be used as a traditional grill as well since I grill way more than I smoke.

I have multiple different cookers as well and want to eventually reduce it down to maybe one or two.

This is one of the reasons I bought an M1 so that I could try out stick burning on a smaller scale but also have something that could be used as a traditional grill as well since I grill way more than I smoke.

I have multiple different cookers as well and want to eventually reduce it down to maybe one or two.

70monte. Can you expand on your experience with the m1 as your first stick burner? I have considered it for the same reasons.

And to addresss the other commenters concern, this cooker will be on a brick/concrete floor and not near any wooden structure. Mess concerns noted. Proximity to the fireplace seems appealing to me.

70monte. Can you expand on your experience with the m1 as your first stick burner? I have considered it for the same reasons.

And to addresss the other commenters concern, this cooker will be on a brick/concrete floor and not near any wooden structure. Mess concerns noted. Proximity to the fireplace seems appealing to me.

Unfortunately I've not used wood in it yet. I got it at the end of May and have only cooked on it about three times because I've been pretty busy and it's been so hot outside lately that I've not felt like cooking outside.

M Grills has some good videos on YT where he uses wood in it and it looks very easy to use with wood and that it holds temps very well. Every thing I've read about others using wood in this cooker has been positive.

I will tell you that I did smoke some ribs with charcoal in the charcoal basket because I did not have any wood at the time and it was very easy to get up to temp and held it extremely well once you got the vents dialed in. I'm very impressed with this cooker.

Do you have any regrets about not stepping up to the M36? I love everything about the m1, but it seems small. I have a pretty good sized family and we cook with our in-laws very often. I feel like I would have to spring for the larger unit. Haven’t seen any real reviews of that model yet. Really like what I see on both of them though.

I have cooked with wood many times on my1...works great. They like to run about 300 and eat a small oak split every 30 minutes or so. I wanted a stick burner that also would grill and the m1 fits that bill perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you have any regrets about not stepping up to the M36? I love everything about the m1, but it seems small. I have a pretty good sized family and we cook with our in-laws very often. I feel like I would have to spring for the larger unit. Haven’t seen any real reviews of that model yet. Really like what I see on both of them though.

I never really considered the M36 since I don't need that much room and if I did, I still have my Good One Marshall which can hold a lot of food. Granted it's not a stick burner but going totally wood was never my intention. Travis of M Grills has a video of him using the M36 and it seems to operate just as well as the M1. If you are smoking using the lower firebox, you can actually have three levels of cooking surface if you get the secondary rack. You can also use the adjustable fire grate as a surface to cook food on.

I also bought my M1 from the original owner that had never used it for a good deal with several accessories so that was the other reason I went with the M1.

If you have Facebook, check out the M Grills Army group. It's made up of owners of these grills and Travis the owner of M Grills is also on there occasionally.

I don´t do grilling or anything involving direct heat on my offset.
But any other cook that takes longer than it takes me to fire up the offset and get it up to temp, the offset is an option. It then depends on how much time I have available.

I have an offset with a grill over the fire box. But, I usually use the weber for grilling.
I use the offset more in the winter than summer. Our summers are hot in South Louisiana.

When I do use it, for briskets!

Back