THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So something like this?

Overall: GC $1750, RGC $1000, 3rd $500, 4th $350, 5th $200, 6th - 10th $100
Categories: 1st $350, 2nd $300, 3rd $250, 4th $175, 5th $100, 6th - 10th $50

Yes, this is close to what the contests in the Western part of Nebraska pays. While some cooks don't believe in paying tenth overall, most organizers that have problem pulling 35 teams seem to like the concept. Helps them get teams.

Half to the GC and the other half to a contestant in a random draw...my odds would improve :-D !!

I helped several of the northeast contests with payout structures. We favored Overall vs. categories with the philosophy that overall was a better indicator of skill than a high category finish. i've gotten good feedback from teams at contests using this model. Using a 10k prize pool, you would get:

Overall %
1 $3,300.00 33%
2 $1,400.00 14%
3 $1,000.00 10%
4 $700.00 7%
5 $500.00 5%
6 $250.00 3%
7 $225.00 2%
8 $150.00 2%
9 $100.00 1%
10 $75.00 1%

77.00%

Category Finishes (x4)
1 $200.00 2%
2 $150.00 2%
3 $100.00 1%
4 $75.00 1%
5 $50.00 1%
23.00%

Total % 100.00%

Overall $7,700.00
Categories $2,300.00
Total $10,000.00

I have no idea how to fix it. Probably pay top 5 in categories and top 3 overall. All i know is that I RGC'd a contest earlier this year, and I left with less money than I paid to enter the contest, much less all my other expenses. That sucks.

I shouldn't get paid for coming in 10th place overall unless it's a big contest. At a 10k contest, paying the top 5 is plenty. Winning matters. 10th place is not a good day.

I hear you, but respectfully disagree. Of course that's because I'm usually happy to make top ten. I'm not a team that does 25+ comps a year all over the country. Never won a GC. At a 35 team comp I can think of 25 teams that would be happy to get paid for 10th place. For an organizer, they need those bottom 25 teams as much as they need those top 10.

Not saying you're wrong, just a matter of perspective/investment/commitment/etc. Were I in your shoes I'd probably agree with you. If you GC'd a comp with the prize breakdown I last posted you'd win $1750 + (categories of $1000 - $1200+). Would that $3000ish total prize potential be enough to get you there?

I have no idea how to fix it. Probably pay top 5 in categories and top 3 overall. All i know is that I RGC'd a contest earlier this year, and I left with less money than I paid to enter the contest, much less all my other expenses. That sucks.

I'm not even sure how that's possible unless it was a super expensive entry fee and little to no payouts for even the top 5? I've never come across a comp that had a RGC payout less than the entry fee. Frankly, I can't imagine that comp making it past year 1 with that payout structure. I know I'd steer clear.

I'm not sure what your avg. cost per comp is, but it's probably safe to say most teams are in for $500-$1000? Definitely teams that are in for more and probably just a few in for less. In my last example of the prize breakdown RGC wins $1000 plus category prizes (likely around $700 -$1000+ more). Would that be prize enough to cover your costs and get you to that contest?

Last edited:
Not saying you're wrong, just a matter of perspective/investment/commitment/etc. Were I in your shoes I'd probably agree with you. If you GC'd a comp with the prize breakdown I last posted you'd win $1750 + (categories of $1000 - $1200+). Would that $3000ish total prize potential be enough to get you there?

These are professional BBQ competitions. They aren't designed for an equitable outcome. Winners should get paid, losers shouldn't. Backyard events exist with lower costs of entry and easier to win prize pools. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but we can't pay everyone. If you can't finish in the top 15% of the field you didn't do enough to cash a check.

These are professional BBQ competitions. They aren't designed for an equitable outcome. Winners should get paid, losers shouldn't. Backyard events exist with lower costs of entry and easier to win prize pools. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but we can't pay everyone. If you can't finish in the top 15% of the field you didn't do enough to cash a check.

NASCAR is a pro racing circuit and they pay down to 40th place at the Daytona 500, PGA is a pro golfing circuit and they pay down to 70th place. Seems like a lotta losers who don't deserve cheques are getting paid.

NASCAR is a pro racing circuit and they pay down to 40th place at the Daytona 500, PGA is a pro golfing circuit and they pay down to 70th place. Seems like a lotta losers who don't deserve cheques are getting paid.

Absolutely. I agree with this model 100%, those are all invitational events. NASCAR and PGA all have low level qualifying tours. The closest thing we have is KOS. It's invitation only and even last place gets paid. I would love to see professional barbecue adopt this model.

So being in an area that doesn't have a whole lot of teams, I would like to see categories pay the top ten and top five overall. It's a struggle to get 25 teams consistently so those bottom 10-15 teams help make sure the contest is a qualifier for the top teams that show up. Hopefully a first time team hears their name called once or twice and get hooked. Maybe getting $25 or $50 doesn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme but those teams will think it's great and want to do another comp.

I hear you. And I get it. Your opinion makes sense. But why the top 15%? Why not the top 20%? Or 30%? Why not just the top 5%? I'm not trying to be a jerk either or argue for the sake of arguing. Really just asking if there is a logic to that number or a history or just an opinion. I know some of the "big guys" that totally agree with your perspective and I know some that despite their success, would agree to seeing the prize more spread out. Which is why I ask to begin with.

Still wondering too, is $3000ish (between overall and categories) a begin enough prize for GC to attract any of you top 10 or 15 TOY teams? If not, what would it take?
These top teams are good for the comps.

I'm not even sure how that's possible unless it was a super expensive entry fee and little to no payouts for even the top 5? I've never come across a comp that had a RGC payout less than the entry fee. Frankly, I can't imagine that comp making it past year 1 with that payout structure. I know I'd steer clear.

I don't remember all the specifics, but basically for overall they only paid the GC, and they only paid top 5 in the categories. I had like 2nd 6th 6th for RGC, and got a $250 check and a small trophy, when entry was $250+$25 for electricity.

I can't imagine going back.

I like where you are going but I do think the GC and overall needs to be a little bit higher.
Here is what I would propose for a $10k prize fund:

Overall: GC $2200, RGC $1000, 3rd $700, 4th $400, 5th $250, 6th - 8th $100, 9th - 10th $75
Categories: 1st $300, 2nd $250, 3rd $200, 4th $150, 5th $100, 6th - 10th $50

This looks pretty solid to me. If you go into competition BBQ thinking your going to make money your doing the wrong thing. Unless your a 20+ competition team, that's probably using comps to advertise for their BBQ related business. Never going to make everyone happy. Some teams are like overall better some like categories paid out deeper.

I hear you. And I get it. Your opinion makes sense. But why the top 15%? Why not the top 20%? Or 30%? Why not just the top 5%? I'm not trying to be a jerk either or argue for the sake of arguing. Really just asking if there is a logic to that number or a history or just an opinion. I know some of the "big guys" that totally agree with your perspective and I know some that despite their success, would agree to seeing the prize more spread out. Which is why I ask to begin with.

Still wondering too, is $3000ish (between overall and categories) a begin enough prize for GC to attract any of you top 10 or 15 TOY teams? If not, what would it take?
These top teams are good for the comps.

I said 15% because it's approximately top 5 in a 35 team contest. In reality, I'd say pay the top 5. I think $2500 GC is reasonable for a 10k competition. The payout scale you suggested won't net anything close to $3000 unless you win 3 categories, which is extremely rare. GC is often times 1 top 5 call and 1-2 low calls. Roast_Beast is on the right track.

I am for the prize money being more spread out, but it needs to be reasonable. Most contests pay 2. I think they should pay 5. 5th place is a decent day. 10th place absolutely is not. The entire field doesn't need to get paid.

I agree it's a difference in opinion and obviously everyone wants to get paid. I'm just stating mine. If the goal is to distribute money as deep as possible, why charge an entry fee to begin with? Just hack the prize purse and hand out a ribbon to everyone at the end of the event.

GC $2000
rgc $1000
1st in category $750 x 4 =$3000+ nice trophy
2nd $400 x 4= $1600+ nice trophy
3rd $300 x 4= $1200+ ribbon
4th $200 x 4= $800+ ribbon
5th $100 x 4 = $400+ ribbon
6th-10 ribbons

Back