What types of pellets do you like your pellet pooper to poop?

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
All of these posts about pellet poopers and the fact that almost every day a different Brethren seems to be getting a new pellet pooper really make me think that I two should get a pellet pooper!

But I do have a question or number two about what kind of pellets you pellet pooper aficionados like to feed your pellet poopers.

For example is oak a good strong pellet to put into your pellet pooper? Does mesquite cause your pellet pooper to emit noxious fumes? Is hickory a good prospect for pellet poopers to poop? Do cherry and apple provide an air of fruity sweetness when you run them through your pellet pooper? Or perhaps a blend of different wood types are the best for your pellet pooper to poop.

I also wonder if any of the pellets may cause your pellet pooper to back up, or are there any pellets to avoid because they run right through your pellet pooper's system.

I guess I am a bit anal retentive when it comes to the subject of pellet poopers but I am hoping someone can clear the air and give me the straight poop!

PS. I do wish we could come up with a more appetizing name for pellet poopers. Perhaps pellet defecators or maybe pellet excrement factories.

My auto-feed-mini-stick-burner is good with all brands of mini-sticks. I recently like to use Oak and Cherry or Apple. The oak is good for grilling, and it also has good flavor when smoking too.

I use oak and hickory. I like lumberjack pellets. Good quality. I stay away from the fruity type of pellets. When I purchased my pellet smoker , they suggested lumberjack pellets.

B&B, Lumberjack, Pit Boss, Kingsford all run good in my Weber Smokefire. Bear Mountain not so much, makes the auger creak and groan

My Rec Tec has chewed through most all of the common brand pellets without issue. In over 7 years, it's never experienced a flameout or an auger jam. I've never bothered to sift my pellets before loading them up or empty the hopper between cooks, either. The SmokeFire has only burned B&B so far, because that's all I currently have. B&B Championship Blend & Cherry are what I've mostly settled on these days. I tell myself the cherry tastes better on pork and produces a better smoke ring - but that may just be fiction I tell myself.

I don’t know how many places out there actually make pellets. Like many things it’s no where near the number of brands that are sold. Most of the pellets sold are 60-80 percent oak or alder depending on if the are manufactured east or west. For example many ‘apple’ pellets are 70% oak and 30% apple.

I’ve tried a lot of brands, not as many flavors and have noticed little difference in the results between them. If you find 100 hickory (I use CookinPellets) the smoke seems stronger than one of those that do a 70/30 oak/hickory blend. As far as the fruit woods, my palette isn’t that refined and I really just pick up milder smoke. I can differentiate mesquite vs everything else. Cherry will add some color to your food.

Different brands of pellets will also leave different amounts of ash behind and have varying amounts of dust in the bag. Some of the dust has to do with shipping and handling too. These are other reasons I like CookinPellets. The usually burn the cleanest and have the least dust in the bags of the brands I’ve tried. They are unfortunately kinda pricey compared to other brands.

B&B, Lumberjack, Pit Boss, Kingsford all run good in my Weber Smokefire. Bear Mountain not so much, makes the auger creak and groan

That’s interesting. How many times have you tried the bear mountain? Were they the first pellets you tried? It could be an interesting thing to try to determine the cause behind.

I recently went back to Smoke Ring Pellets. A few reasons, tried a bunch and was just as happy with these as all the top ones. 100% listed wood no fillers. Made in Michigan and I can get 40lbs for a little over $20. I imagine could get cheaper if I did a bulk purchase.

Haven’t tried any other brands than lumberjack. Pellet cookers are way different when it comes to wood choice than anything else in my opinion. Oak is for heat and not much smoke. Fruit woods are mild which means very mild in a pellet smoker. Hickory is arguably the best wood for smoke flavor in a pellet cooker. Brands of pellets and wood choice definitely make a difference when it comes to smoke flavor well as using a very low temp (180-200).

I’ve tried several pellets on the two pellet grills I’ve owned and have settled into using Green Mountain Apple pellets for everything on my Green Mountain Daniel Boone. It gives good flavor and a decent level of Smokiness on everything I cook. I also put it in a smoke tube for stuff like beef and pork.

Back