What do you use to smash your smashburgers?

I have the 2 different lodge grill presses. Both work very good, also nice for searing steaks. You can use anything that is flat. As far as cleanup, put a piece of patty paper on the meat, then smash. No sticking, and the press is easy clean up.

What is Patty paper?

What is Patty paper?

You use it to separate patty’s. I also use it in the press top and bottom when forming patty’s.

2495.jpg

I use a small Lodge CI pan (that i had lying around never being used), with a sheet a parchment paper in between. Works perfect.

These are my smash burger tools. The spatula is very important, it has to have sharp edges so you can get under the burger and take the crust with the burger.

Attachments

• 0C8E43F4-1553-41BB-818D-FEBB96F700D5.jpg
    0C8E43F4-1553-41BB-818D-FEBB96F700D5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Anything heavy, flat and sturdy. I have been eating smash burgers before they were called smash burgers. I like them pressed extra thin to the point the burger becomes lacy (spaces between the meat). This enables maximum caramelization and requires at least a double meat burger with cheese meted between the patties.

Anything heavy, flat and sturdy. I have been eating smash burgers before they were called smash burgers. I like them pressed extra thin to the point the burger becomes lacy (spaces between the meat). This enables maximum caramelization and requires at least a double meat burger with cheese meted between the patties.

me to, been eating them for a long time, instead of a thick half pound burger I would rather have four thin patties equal to half pound

I have been eating smash burgers before they were called smash burgers.
I use two metal spatulas ... Smash it like the Steak n’ Shake method.

Yes, I agree, smashing a burger is nothing new ... Steak & Shake has been doing it since 1934

I also just use two spatulas like Steak & Shake.

I don't worry about the cleanup ... they are easy enough to clean and I figure grilling is like making an omelette - you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, you can't grill without ....

William wins my vote for most badazz burger smasher.
To be honest it wasn't built to be the ultimate smasher. I had never done a smash burger and just figured I needed something heavy to do the job. It's overkill but if I ever do a smash meatloaf I got it covered. :biggrin1:

Back