What are sport peppers?

Vienna is a good brand but you're paying for the name. Go with Marconi they are just as good and about a buck cheaper. (I love Chi-dawgs)

"It has to have, must have, blah blah..."

The problem with this thinking is most new stands and recent devotees make the same freakin' thing - i.e. Vienna beef dogs on Rosen buns.

The older stands were a lot more diverse due to location, ethnic background, etc. I enjoy a boiled Vienna beef on a steamed poppyseed bun as much as any other Chicagoan (had two yesterday) but there's more out there.

When does the thing cease to be the thing due to a change in the original recipe? example: Sonic sells Chicago hot dogs, really?.....NOT!............... ...David Berg dogs were a staple Chi dog for years [ Parky's], are they still ?

Vienna acquired David Berg out of bankruptcy about 20 years ago. From what I understand the recipe is the same. You still see DB sold in stands, but not as much as it used to be.

At least on the west side, buns must be poppy seeded, steamed, and a slice of cucumber in addition to the dill pickle, tomato, green sweet relish French's yellow mustard, onion and celery salt ...hot fries all wrapped up in the same paper and in a small sack, sports are optional......Portillo's, Mickeys...Grew up and lived there for 55 years... alas, I have moved and am in Elvis country 10 years now, ...a culinary waste land.....odd, this is my 1st post...but I feel strongly about Chicago dogs ..oh yeah, has to be a Kosher beef dog...Don't even get me started about Italian beef...p.s . Deep dish isn't pizza.. I suppose I will now have to introduce my self properly..

First of all, welcome. Second...best intro I've seen yet!

So I bit the bullet and ordered peppers from Amazon. Can't find poppy seed buns anywhere.

To be honest, I don't think the poppy seeds give that much flavor to stand out with all the other ingredients on the dog. Sure a "true" Chicago dog will have them, but you aren't missing much if you use buns without them.

I can't get sport peppers out here either. I did order dogs and relish from Vienna Beef with the sale they just had. Sliced Porcini peppers worked in a pinch.

Agree, not missing much on the poppy seed bun, but if you're going authentic you need to have them so you can clean them out of your teeth, off the table, etc after eating.

My Chicago dog preference is the char dog. My favorite place would deep fry, then pop on the grill to char before putting on the steamed bun and add toppings. The are delicious.

Back