WGA / Grill Grates modifications

willsands

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
willsands
If you have Grill Grates for your Weber GoAnyWhere grill you may have noticed that the grill lid doesn’t fit snuggly with the Grill Grates in place. The two tabs in the lid rest on the Grill Grates and prevent the lid from sealing tightly. The tabs are there to hold the lid in an open position. This is a bigger problem if the Grill Grates are installed with the smooth (griddle) side up. My solution is to remove a ¾” semi-circle of metal from each end of the Grill Grates assembly to provide clearance for the lid tabs. I used my spindle sander to remove the metal; however, a large rat-tail file would work as well.
This modification allows the lid to fit tightly and smother the fire for a quick cool down before transporting the grill.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The daisy wheels on my WGA were prone to stick in place. I modified the vents to operate more smoothly by drilling out the factory rivets and replacing them with a ¼” commode bolt (cut to length), a small spring, and an acorn nut. The spring keeps the vents sealed while allowing the daisy wheels to rotate freely. In order to reduce the “branding effect” while adujusting the hot aluminum daisy wheel tabs, I fabricated small wood blocks and epoxied them in place. Drilling holes in the aluminum tabs allows the epoxy to form a better bond between the wood and aluminum.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

[FONT=&quot]The little WGA is a bit more user friendly now. I believe anodizing the daisy wheels and the bars that cover the lower vents would be a nice cosmetic addition. I’m working to acquiring the necessary chemicals and try the anodizing process.[/FONT]

Way awesome! Love my WGA too. My survival grill/smoker.

Back