THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

riseabove50

Found some matches.
Hey guys, has anyone tried to convert a harbor freight (or any type really) weed burner from propane to natural gas? If so, can you please provide instructions or a link on how to do it? would love to not be tied to a tank anymore especially when a house hook up is right there.
Thanks!

Public Safety First

Please approach a local, licensed plumber with your idea, not the internet.
I doubt the fire code would allow this type of connection to your house.

Weed burners operate off of high pressure LP regulators, as high as 30psi. Your home natural gas system is regulated to about 7 water column inches of pressure from the meter which is about 1/4psi. You would have to have a commercial natural gas service to get higher line pressure.

I faced a similar dilemma with my turkey fryer/boiling pot, and with one of my earlier BBQ's.
For Natural Gas the orifice has to be changed. Natural Gas needs a larger orifice so more gas can pass through.
For one BBQ, I used Orifice Drills and opened up the hole until I got a proper flame. My current gasser had jets for conversion from Propane to Natural Gas.
But I'm sure Harbor Freight won't have any conversion kits for a weed burner.

For my Fryer/crab pot, I bought a burner with a bunch of more jets.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wok-Jet-Bu...-WR-JBR23NG-/163687488756?hash=item261c88dcf4
So now I have a natural gas fired crab pot.

Would it be possible for you to use an electric starter?
Or what I use is a MAPP Gas soldering torch with a 1 pound green can propane bottle screwed onto it.
I call it my "Camp Match". Lights wood or charcoal, as well as a sundry of other flame-on needs.
Has instant ignition, plenty big enough flame, even a trigger lock to keep it on.
I even use it to give my lead casting pot a boost when starting it up.
Much better (to me) than a weed burner.
Come to think about it, I use my torch for weeds in the patio, and for ants. Ants change their minds when faced with a highway of crispy critters.

I use one of those propane torches, Sonny. So many uses. Gets charcoal going really fast.

Back