Weber Stuff: Lump Disco, Wok-a-Billy......................

1buckie

Babbling Farker
So.....after a bunch of stuff like this ~~>

7-1-13004.jpg

7-1-13009.jpg

thought it would be nice to change things up......

the wife suggested we go aways out to the "Koreana Plaza" by where she used to work, as they had expanded into another part of the building & the new part was now open.....
WOW!!!!~

This place is the size of your standard medium large Walmart & has all kinds of stuff.....full blown Hispanic, Russian / Czech & all kinds of German & other fun stuff.........full deli (got baby bolongna to smoke), nice bakery ( had jalepeno/ cheese bread from there) great produce with all the Chinese /Japanese stuff (3 large bunches of celery for $1.49 !!) and they have the shabu~shabu cut ribeyes (the oblong core piece of a boneless ribeye, cut to 1/16" thick, pics to follow on this stuff !!)
See at the end................

So there is no real recipe....it's Uncle Buckie's Crazy-ass All-in Stir Fry....wife got some kind of package flavor mix for general use & the beef was some top sirloin, sliced sorta like the shabu, only not as thin....just sliced at an angle 1/2" wide & seasoned w/ sesame oil & some powders....& ginger, fairly fresh, but from a jar....

Meat 1st, pull out & stagger the vegs in according to how we like 'em done..........
Coals.....
Wokabilly7-20-13024.jpg

Start the heat up & keep it warm on an 18" while the lump gets good & hot on the bigger one.........

Wokabilly7-20-13030.jpg

Wokabilly7-20-13006.jpg

Wok.......
Wokabilly7-20-13010.jpg

Stuff.....it was pretty hot, so just stuck everything in little tubs, on ice........
Wokabilly7-20-13002.jpg

And it's Wok-a-Billy......

Par cook the meat 1st............
Wokabilly7-20-13011.jpg

Hold out for a pretty rapid succession of the veg head stuff, 2 & 3 items at a time, in order of how long they might need to cook............
Wokabilly7-20-13031.jpg

Wokabilly7-20-13020.jpg

Wokabilly7-20-13038.jpg

This one was decent.....1st stir fry on the Weber...done deep fry, hash browns, ribeyes, bacon & eggs & other stuff, but I don't know beans (or peas) about stir fry.....

Next day....approx. the same ingredients, except chicken breast strips & sliced pork chops.....and after haggling w/ the wife over: too much, too little, what kind of, don't put that kind in, no dill, etc......I did the mixes for meat, by myself, in the kitchen, all alone, in secret.....put some sumac powder & other fun stuff in & just used peanut oil for the initial startup & veg part......much better...............
Wokabilly7-20-13035.jpg

Wokabilly7-20-13023.jpg

Wokabilly7-20-13036.jpg

Wokabilly7-20-13040.jpg

Then dumped in some more oil & segued into this little dittie, ...........a Martin Yan recipe I saw ONCE on PBS, before you could even record stuff off TV & i remembered the whole thing & have done it for years, but not for about 6 years, so there were some foul balls.....

Deep Fried Nori Rolls........

1st you chop chicken breast, chop,chop, chopping, chop the chicken breast..screw it....use the Cusinart.....make like into a paste wax kinda stuff......
Wokabilly7-20-13027.jpg

2-1/2 large breast, white pepper & two eggs.....he used only egg white, but I never noticed a difference....( Martin Yan ~>)."then you put the chicken back in the egg...see I put the chicken back into the egg.......like this......I might be the 1st ever to put the chicken back into the egg!!"

Gather up your paste & slice up a bunch of zuchs, carrots, celery, ham, red bells, long chive,
Wokabilly7-20-13042.jpg

couple kinds of mushroom
Wokabilly7-20-13045.jpg

& do this:
Wokabilly7-20-13046.jpg

Wokabilly7-20-13049.jpg

Wokabilly7-20-13062.jpg

Except I forgot you're not supposed to get nervous about running out of chicken paste & having too many strips of other stuff left.....over packed a few..... :roll::roll::roll:
Edible, but goofy.............
Wokabilly7-20-13056.jpg

Some did better.....
Wokabilly7-20-13065.jpg

Coming Soon...................shabu-shabu Honeydrippers............ 8)

This one happened here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2944211

Great cook! Now I wanna take my wok outside and fire up the kettle...
Really enjoyed your post, and the Martin Yan reference brought back some good memories as I used to watch that all the time as a kid. Thanks for sharing!

Here's some simple mods some of my kettlehead buddies did so they can use a regular carbon steel wok........

3 or 4 of these around the lip..............

029ezg.jpg

030gf.jpg

Or a WSM ring in the bottom...........

DSC07596.jpg

DSC07585.jpg

You too can do......
Wok-a-Billy......................

KC.........

Mine is an actual Weber Wok from, the late 60's / early70's,

found by a friend who does house re-habs.....he gets to keep stuff people leave behind, so they gave it to me & I got it beadblasted........
Has welded clips to hold on 18 or 22:

EndAug2012Wok024.jpg

EndAug2012Wok018.jpg

Pics are right before seasoning........
These crop up on Flea-Bay & Craig's from time to time, usually $125 +
They are fairly rare & people will bid them up a bit..............

That's why I put up those other options....a few clips & a carbon wok from a place like this:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2695/asian-woks-wok-covers-and-wok-rings.html

or a Discada, like this:

http://www.southwestdisk.com/

The plus with using an 18" WSM ring like the last example is that you can swirl stuff around while cooking......can't do that with the clips................

Back