Weber Premium vs SnS Deluxe Grill...

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
After assembling both, here's my take on the two, IMHO...
The Weber 22" went together very well. Everything fits tight and the finish came flawless. When I placed the lid on for the first time, there seemed to be a slight wobble, which would have created a leak, however all I had to do was to carefully tweak the lid and everything lined up as it should. The SnS was a bit more involved because of the additional parts and all the nuts and bolts seemed to be of better quality than the Weber.
Now, my main concern with both was how they might handle low temp cooks, so I looked for possible areas of air leaks. The Weber's top and bottom vents are as tight as they can be and operated smoothly, As for the SnS, the top vent plate does not fit it's mating surface really well, so that's a point where air may leak. As for the bottom vent, there are 5 legs that are shorter than the Weber's and those legs are raised off the bottom of the bowl at the tip and at the base of each leg. What that means for air leakage is that when each leg is over it's vent whole, air will be allowed to pass in and out of the chamber. An indication of this for me, was that when I finished up a cook and closed up the grill, coals were still burning hours after, at a very low temp.
Maybe I'm nit-picking and only time will tell. Lucky for me, the SnS parts fit the Weber as well.

I hope my explanation was clear enough to understand. I do like the SnS for it's added features, but the air leak thing is an issue. I have an email in to SnS, so we'll see what they have to say about it. Frankly, I don't understand why they didn't make the fingers of that lower "star" flush with the surface of the bowl like Weber does. That would make a huge different in vent control and ash clearing.

Back