Vortex ABT's

txsmkmstr

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Take one old Weber kettle with dents, chips, intake damper long gone... Add a tumble weed and some Cowboy briquettes and let the Weber chimney do it's thing. Pour lit coals into a poor man's vortex (Dollar Store mixing bowl with bottom cut out) and place ABT's around the perimeter.

FWIW IDK where the term ABT originated since I always just called them bacon wrapped peppers but YMMV. Shorter way of saying the same thing AFAIK.:blah:

Cook away for 2 hours at 250* then bump up to 350* to desired chrispness. Plate and salivate while enjoying a margarita.

IMG-20230507-161349339-HDR-2.jpg

Oh yeah... Forgot to mention the SuckleBusters SPG and a glaze of Blues Hog Champion. Simply delish!!!

IMG-20230507-161533097-HDR-2.jpg

I de-seed and scrape the vein out pretty thoroughly. Honestly there's not much heat left after basting in bacon grease. Perhaps a sweet banana pepper would be more palatable. I see packages of sweet peppers (orange yellow red) that have a jalapeno shape at Walmart - might give those a try.

Looks great. Unfortunately, jalapenos are too hot for me. Any suggestions on substitutes that are on the mild side? Thanks!

Bob, we've had great success doing the same thing with the small sweet peppers that you can find in a bag in the produce section. My wife don't do jalapenos either!

They look great. My limited use with a vortex was constant high heat. I'll have to expirement with adjusting airflow for temp changes. Thank you.

Last edited:
Yup.... I've struggled with no intake damper and the vortex but gained some knowledge with this cook. Modified minion method where you don't let the chimney get fully lit before dumping the coals. This creates a smaller fire to begin with that you can choke off the exhaust to set your temp. Totally counter-intuitive to stick burners but seemed to work. A small oven thermometer let me check where I was and I actually got the temp to drop early on with exhaust shut completely. After that I'd crack it 1/16" and let it work for 10 minutes or so and then adjust another 1/16" and so on/so forth. You can always lift the lid for a quick warm-up if needed.

Back