Vacation and Ribs on the Gasser

KevinJ

somebody shut me the fark up.
Every year my wife's brother rents a Lake House on Lake Keowee in SC and most of my wife's family come to the lake to enjoy a week together, boating, jet skiing, fishing and of course enjoying some adult beverages for those old enough to drink. Every night we have a big dinner and I was asked todo a Shrimp Boil this year, no problem easy peasy.

My BIL's wife one afternoon throws me a curve ball after she went shopping, says she has heard how fantastic my Ribs are and gives me a 3pack of Smithfield extra tender Back Ribs to cook for dinner. The only cooker we have besides a stove, oven and propane burner is a 4 burner gasser. OK I've never cook Ribs on a Gasser but I'm semi confident I can pull this off.

I'm thinking a simple Rub with SPOG, unfortunately we only have Tony's, Salt, Pepper, Paprika and Chili Powder that I could use for a Rub so I seasoned the Ribs with a light dusting of Tony's to give them some kick, a healthy shake of Black Pepper and light dusting of Chili Powder, I was asked not to make the Ribs too salty so I didn't add any extra Salt because Tony's is pretty salty on it's own.

I thought about just using the outside burners and rotating the racks so they would cook even but I didn't want to baby sit Ribs so I decided to cook them on the warming shelf. I needed a Rib Rack which of course we didn't have but we did have Skewers so I skewered them to stand up on their sides. Fortunately there was just enough clearance from the lid to make it work.

Seasoned, skewered and on the grill, burners were turned all the way down and the lid therm was reading just under 400.

zQJBb5B.jpg

Time to sit back and enjoy a Sierra Nevada

laRmVc7.jpg

2hrs in and I decided to give them a look and a poke to see if they were tender/done.

TOgHzUf.jpg

3.5hrs they are toothpick tender (obviously the lid therm is off)

4FhKXhh.jpg

I usually don't sauce Ribs but the majority wanted them wet and the only BBQ Sauce we had on hand was Paul Newman's BBQ Sauce so hey what the heck put 2 racks back on sauced and gave them 10 more minutes for the sauce to set.

TdPiLXI.jpg

The rack I left dry

llmbTOC.jpg

I asked for a sharp knife to cut the ribs, I think I have butter knives as sharp as the ones at the lake house and of course we didn't have a knife sharpener so we have mutilated Ribs. :shocked:

tR34j6G.jpg

The funny thing about all this is they were actually really good and far exceeded my expectations, we had fresh baked bread, sides of Slaw and Crunchy Collard Greens with Bacon (delicious), even the next day everyone was commenting on how good dinner was.

Shrimp boil on another day before everyone dug in.

CtP33hm.jpg

Next door neighbors have a heck of a fire pot.

ANvakgh.jpg

Looking down at our little cove.

wmM0X50.jpg

A couple of picks from the boathouse deck.

emnaYW5.jpg

IbMksE5.jpg

RoX5Qz0.jpg

Evenings at dusk were the best.

ADMtxzQ.jpg

mPjkUVn.jpg

Last edited:
God's Country for sure. Good thing they had a Pro like you to save the day. Love that skewer idea! :clap2::thumb:

They threw you a curve and you knocked it out the park. Great cook and that dusk view was beautiful.

Looks wonderful, Kevin! Both the setting and the food. What a nice place for a vacation, looks so relaxing.. :cool::grin:

I used to do ribs on the gasser. Only thing I do different is start them off over the heat to give them a little char first. Then on the upper rack and rotate and flip every 45 or so.

Looks great...all of it. Ribs, boil, and scenery!

Nicely done. Vacation grilling is always an adventure unless you pack a kit to travel with you. Great work.

Beautiful pics and nice cook :clap2: I was thrown a curve last year with pork belly and my cousins gasser and whiffed badly :icon_shy

Kevin you proved that if you can cook you can make great food on anything. Beautiful grub brother.

Kiwi as the natives call it is a beautiful lake. I work up in Pickens quite a bit and my customer has a lake home there.

Last edited:
Nice work on the cook, and thanks for sharing a beautiful setting.

Back