Uh oh - making sausage and can't find the gland in my pork butt!!

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Hey all - what a comedy of errors this has been!

This is my second ever sausage session - LOVED the first batch! The first time I cubed my meat 1 inch or smaller and my #8 LEM never began to break a sweat, so I cut this one into 2" pieces. But........ I never found the gland!! I inspected every piece, and couldn't find it. So - might there be a possibility that there just wasn't a gland in this butt? (Smithfield from Harris Teeter.) Or, should I start cubing more finely to try and find it? This is a special batch of sausage for my dad's birthday and I really don't want to ruin it!!

Many, many thanks, dear brethren!!

I've NEVER been able to find the stinking gland and I've been doing butts for years.:rolleyes:

I assume this is a concern when grinding but not for pulled pork or is this normally removed when processed before sale ? :noidea:

I could be wrong, but I thought the gland was only found in whole shoulders, not a butt.

EDIT - ok, so I was wrong, did some looking and apparently they are usually located in the butt, not the picnic, but normally they get removed during processing. If you cook a butt like normal you can just discard it like a chunk of fat while pulling, but I can see why you wouldn't want to grind it up. If you didn't find it, I would just guess it was already cut out.

Last edited:
I found this pic of the pork butt gland at cookshack.com
Never knew of it before.
I have removed the tarsal gland from a venison hind quarter, but never in a BB.

picture.php

a tarsal gland is not the same as this LOL
If it was you would know it

I have read about this before but have never dealt with it in all my years of sausage making and pork butt smoking

I never considered this a glad. I hand grind so chop by hand very well before grinding and remove veins and nerves as I go. I usually do five
Pounds or less. Too much like work. This is supposed to be fun.

Paging Mr. Bouska to the white courtesy phone. Mr David Bouska to the white courtesy phone, please.

I'm willing to bet those were his hands in the Cookshack photo.

From Wiki:

A gland is an organ in an animal's body that synthesizes a substance such as hormones for release into the bloodstream (endocrine gland) or into cavities inside the body or its outer surface (exocrine gland).

Sounds yummy, doesn't it.

Back