Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) Build from Old Town Smokers

djrobb

Found some matches.
Thought I would share some photos of the drum smoker I’m just finishing for my competition team Old Town Smokers. I used a lot of knowledge shared on this site and applied some of my own ideas. My goal here wasn’t to make the most budget friendly drum, it was one to meet our specific cooking style and would hold up to travel. Thanks to everyone else who has shared their knowledge!

I started out with the heaviest drum I could find made by Skolnik (1HBH2). I ordered it from Grainger but found out later that a site called Zoro has it cheaper. I have access to reconditioned drums locally (DC area) through Waring & Sons but I wanted a new drum for this build.

Grab bars form the air intakes and double as handles. Dampers are made from pipe mending clamps that adjust quickly using bike seat clamps (not pictured). There is a BBQ Guru adapter built right into the left intake that is attached with high heat JB Weld.

The lid, from a Weber grill, sits nicely on top of the drum bolt ring. I did the aluminum lip mod (sealed with RTV silicone) but that may not have been necessary, perhaps a more simple lip could have been created with 4 brackets. With this setup the Weber rotisserie also fits nicely though so for me it was worth it.

You can drag it around with a pull handle hung from the bolt ring (from a gym) on Hunsaker casters. You can empty out ash and water with a stainless steel flange and plug. I use a hoe and a hose to clean.

It’s dressed up with a hand formed logo plate, and decal from StickerYou.

The outside components:
Drum - $120 from Zoro
Grab Bar Air Intakes - $26 from Amazon (moen)
Dampers - $8 from home depot or lowes
Back Handle - $10 from amazon with a $3 hanger from lowes
Logo Plate - $10, bent to shape
Hunsaker Wheels and Axel - $59
Front Caster - $6 from Lowes
Aluminum Lip - $8 from Lowes
RTV Silicone - $6 from Grainger
Nuts, Bolts, Washers - $15?
Stainless Steel Flange and Plug - $24 from Amazon

Inside I use the Gateway Drums rib hanger, Weber grates and the Hunsaker Vortex basket. When I want to cook with a deflector I use a LavaLock UDS drum basket with a deflector pan sitting elevated on top of threaded rods.

Here is our competition page where l share more about the build:
www.facebook.com/oldtownsmokers

Sorry the pictures are sideways, I don't know how to fix that!

Attachments

• IMG_2136.jpg
    IMG_2136.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2139.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2147.jpg
    IMG_2147.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 216
Nice build! I can't seem to find that drum on the Zore site. What gage is it? I would assume you ordered an unlined drum. If so was the rust inhibitor easy to clean out? Thanks!

I also don’t see the model currently available on Zoro but it was a week ago so hopefully it will be back soon. If you search “55 transport drum” there are some other options. The drum I used was 16 gauge, 1.5mm, 67lb shipping weight. You can still see the specs at Grainger below. It was unlined and the the rust inhibitor must be a thin. I couldn’t see it or feel it at all. I just burned it out once before my first cook.

55 gal. Black Steel Open Head Transport Drum
https://www.grainger.com/product/1HBH2?cm_mmc=Share:CopyToPasteboard-_-iPhone_IDPShare-_-1HBH2

Back