TX Deer Pops

Get’n Smokey

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
A A Ron
Texas whitetail backstrap in Worcestershire for 4hrs. Cut Jalapeño into squares and stuff with cream cheese. Wrap deer meat, jalapeño/cheese in bacon. Sprinkle with your favorite rub. Smoke 250 till the bacon is done. Glazed with balsamic vinegar.

Super tasty y’all!!

:nod:

Last edited:
Questions about this recipe

Yo AA Ron, Let me start this post out by saying I think those TX deer pops look spectacular! I have a lot of deer on hand this year and was looking for new ideas on how to prepare it as you can only eat so much burger, summer sausage, fajitas and pastrami made from venison. Those poppers should do the trick! Now onto the questions:

About how big are the pieces of deer? All the deer I have on hand is either prepped for grinding or has been cut into roasts. I can cut up the smaller roasts that I use for fajitas to do this recipe. All the meat is in the deep freeze. I still have several small roasts left over from last year and I can cut them to size for the recipe.

Any idea of what the internal temperature of the venison cubes reached when you took them off? I prefer my venison cooked no more than medium. I am guessing the bacon might take longer than deer to cook than the venison, but if the marinade keeps the deer from drying out, that is good.

Did you have a problem with the cream cheese leaking out of the bacon wrap as the poppers cooked?

Last question. You serve these straight off the smoker or can you serve them cold?

Thanks again for posting this recipe! I cannot wait to try this and I will report back my results after I cook them.

Beers to you,

Juggy D Beerman

That’s awesome you have venison in the freezer man. We definitely need a few more here.

I’d say we cut them about the width of the bacon maybe around 1” maybe a tad bigger. Smaller pieces we just doubled them up. We cut the pack of bacon in half. I’ve only used backstrap or tenderloins but I bet a hind quarter will work too. Those two cuts just melt in your mouth. Didn’t thermo pen them so don’t know the internal temp I was just watching the bacon. Once that bacon gets done I pulled them. Very little if no cheese melted out. Bacon diaper holds it.

Hunting buddy showed me this at camp one night but he had elk. Any game will work I bet…. Axis, elk, deer, moose etc…

Kids take 3-4 in each hand…. They don’t last long.

Let me know how it turns out man

:tea:

Cheers!

Yo Ron, Thank you for answering my questions. I cannot wait to try this out! I have a lot of venison on hand now. I have three former coworkers who are trophy hunters who do not care much for venison and they donate their deer to me. The deer are legally harvested and tagged when I receive them. They are field dressed only so I get to skin and butcher them. I reciprocate their generosity with various BBQed meats for their freezers. This year they received one pound each of pulled pork, pulled chicken, smoked (belly) bacon, Canadian bacon, pork (back rib) riblets, venison summer sausage and venison pastrami. Even though they do not care much for venison, they do like the summer sausage and especially the pastrami. I also gave them each a large container of my BBQ rub. One year I gave them each a 4' x 4' table that was 42" tall that was made entirely of oak pallet wood. The legs and frame were made of doubled up runners. These tables are extremely heavy and stout.

As to my system of harvesting the roasts, other than the back strap and tenderloins, the only roasts I keep are from the hindquarters and those are the two long muscles along with the "football" roasts. I remove all the silver skin from the roasts and make sure there is no fat, sinew or cartilage. These are the roasts I use for pastrami. This year I started dismantling the football roasts into separate muscles. If these roasts do not weigh over 12 ounces, I cube them up for grinding. All the meat for grinding has 90% or better of the silver skin and fat removed. I have two other hunting buddies who I get together after all of the various deer seasons are over and we pool our grinding meats for our annual grind. We weigh the amount of venison we have on hand and 12.5% each of pork fat and beef fat to the mix. I like to make burgers and sausage out of the mix so the end product is about 80% lean.

My deer donors have had a very good season so far and I am lucky enough to have a freezer full of venison. A good problem to have since I no longer have the 75 acre farm I used to live on where I hunted. Thanks again for posting the recipe and you will hear back from me on my results!

Would those deer pop things go well with an ice cold bottle of beer (axing for my idiot buddy)
Ed

Back