THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cmtd

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Ray
I have been wanting to buy a higher end offset for a while now. I have my eyes on either a Mill Scale 94 gallon or an Outlaw patio. Was just wanting to get some input or opinions on maybe some pros/cons between these two.

Thanks

Blue Collar backyard by Big Phil with an added damper.

Self-quoting and adding a reply to explain. The Millscale 94 is an amazing smoker that comes with a hefty price tag (and it's only gonna go up, given the world's events), and IMO is the better of the two you mentioned. That said, I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping something shy of $6k (with shipping) for a 94 gallon smoker. Big Phil's "blue collar" backyard model is less than $2k, same cooking space (24x48"), 3/8" thick, well-designed. There's a weird trend with "craft BBQ backyard pits" costing like cars for no real reason

@Sandro,

I've got nothing bad to say about Big Phil as what he's building is a great smoker for a great price. That said it's definitely not on the "higher end" and it comes with limited customization.

@cmtd,

Both of those smokers will function quite well. Personally, and I can't say for sure whether or not it matters, but the firebox on Outlaw is quite small. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about how well these draft or anything of that nature. That being said the small size limits the size of splits you can use, and I'm one of those guys who prefers an oversized firebox to a small firebox. The Outlaw firebox is double insulated so I understand why they have gone with this design.

Mill Scale is definitely on the high end with how they make their hinges and all their "finish" work. They are also on the extreme high end when it comes to price, but you get what you pay for. I will mention that castors can be a pain, and I'm not seeing an upgrade option to golfcart wheels on the MillScale page (though I'm sure they'll give you that option if you call).

It really comes down to style ; traditional "Texas style" offset versus "competition pretty" offset. Obviously shipping is something to consider as Mill Scale is in Lockhart, TX, and you can get an Outlaw through a dealer in Kansas.

I'm not sure if you're interested but Shirley Fabrications is very close to coming out with their "direct flow backyard model." In terms of high end that will definitely be right up there with Mill Scale.

I’ve had several of the top offsets and now have the Outlaw Patio. It’s an outstanding pit that is easy to run and produces great BBQ. The front load door is really cool.

@Sandro,

I've got nothing bad to say about Big Phil as what he's building is a great smoker for a great price. That said it's definitely not on the "higher end" and it comes with limited customization.

@cmtd,

Both of those smokers will function quite well. Personally, and I can't say for sure whether or not it matters, but the firebox on Outlaw is quite small. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about how well these draft or anything of that nature. That being said the small size limits the size of splits you can use, and I'm one of those guys who prefers an oversized firebox to a small firebox. The Outlaw firebox is double insulated so I understand why they have gone with this design.

Mill Scale is definitely on the high end with how they make their hinges and all their "finish" work. They are also on the extreme high end when it comes to price, but you get what you pay for. I will mention that castors can be a pain, and I'm not seeing an upgrade option to golfcart wheels on the MillScale page (though I'm sure they'll give you that option if you call).

It really comes down to style ; traditional "Texas style" offset versus "competition pretty" offset. Obviously shipping is something to consider as Mill Scale is in Lockhart, TX, and you can get an Outlaw through a dealer in Kansas.

I'm not sure if you're interested but Shirley Fabrications is very close to coming out with their "direct flow backyard model." In terms of high end that will definitely be right up there with Mill Scale.

I would beg to differ about the “customization”
- my pit from Phil has a top shelf, a folding front shelf , and numerous other custom items

With that said - for anyone looking to buy a pit — research what each pit has to offer and ask the members that have those pits what they think

Home-made or $2000...When you boil it on down, is it the pit or the guy that's doing the smoking? People say brand X produces great stuff...No, the smoker doesn't. It's you.

I make some mean Q on a simple 16x36 with the stack above grate level... As long as it's not stupidly thin and flimsy, everything works. An incredibly well-designed pit makes a ton of difference in a commercial setting where you're cooking 28 briskets at once and you want to avoid moving them around, surely

I make some mean Q on a simple 16x36 with the stack above grate level... As long as it's not stupidly thin and flimsy, everything works. An incredibly well-designed pit makes a ton of difference in a commercial setting where you're cooking 28 briskets at once and you want to avoid moving them around, surely

I agree. But, please don't call me Shirley. <wink>

Have you looked at Gator pits?

I have not, I will check them out. I was mainly looking at the two I had mentioned

Self-quoting and adding a reply to explain. The Millscale 94 is an amazing smoker that comes with a hefty price tag (and it's only gonna go up, given the world's events), and IMO is the better of the two you mentioned. That said, I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping something shy of $6k (with shipping) for a 94 gallon smoker. Big Phil's "blue collar" backyard model is less than $2k, same cooking space (24x48"), 3/8" thick, well-designed. There's a weird trend with "craft BBQ backyard pits" costing like cars for no real reason

The millscale seems to have jumped in price even more since last I had looked at it. That is a good point however, that is really pushing it on my budget for something that I will strictly use in my backyard.

Workhorse makes some nice looking pits as well. Just throwing that out there.

There is an offset builder in MO I believe. The name eludes me. Someone on here will know who it is. It's always nice when you can go to the builders facility, put eyes and hands on their product and talk to the guys that design and build the product.

Of the two you mentioned I would go Outlaw but again a lot of money for small cooker. This is reason why I am building my own.

I would throw workhorse or fat stack in the mix as well. Nice review from mad scientist on fat stack on youtube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best piece of advise I've heard about choosing a smoker is to try and find one to test cook on one before you buy it. I think it's important to make sure it's designed properly for the way you like to cook and has all the features you want.

Both the pits you mentioned are great pits (seems so anyway as I have neither). I have a semi local dealer for Outlaw. They still charge the freight charges as they had to pay to have it shipped to them (central Florida). I was ball park quoted $5500.00 and I'd have to drive a couple hours one way to get it. They had one in stock.

Continued doing my research and was getting close on a Mill Scale. Then stumbled on a Workhorse video and started down that worm hole. Pulled the trigger 8 days ago on the 1975 model with upper shelf, side steel folding shelf and Cowboy firebox. With tax $3,373.71 OTD. If I want it delivered I can get it as low as $555 or $888 if I am in a hurry. At this time I plan on picking it up.

Do a search on Youtube for Workhorse smokers. The 1957 or 1969 model may be more the size you want and they are even less expensive. Just my two cents.

Back