Trying to decide if I should buy a BGE/Kamado Joe

Why not get both... then compare them head to head and sell the loser... or keep it!

Don't encourage me. I'm already thinking "well, my oldest is getting married this summer and assuming they end up with a house (or apartment that allows it) they'll need some type of grill...."

If i was to choose between those 2 brands it would be the KJ but what do I know i have a Primo :becky:

i will preface this with the fact that I own 3 kamado Joes.

When I started looking I wanted the BGE more than anything. I started researching and was seeing so much hype about KJ. I thought BGE because it is what everyone knows.

I was still sold on a BGE... then I went to my dealer and they had BGE and KJ side by side.

Why did I go with KJ?

A few reasons. I think pound for pound they are very close. Either one you go with you can't go wrong. But KJ stood out after all of my research and after comparing them side by side.

KJ has a better hinge system. It appeared more durable then the BGE. When I got to play with them side by side, the KJ appeared to be better built.

Price was a factor. I wanted the XL BGE or Big Joe KJ. both 24" grills. With the BGE it was expensive but then I needed to add a stand, side tables and the plate setter stone. This drove the price up. with the KJ I paid about the same as the price of the egg but it included the nest, side tables, a divide and concur flexible cooking system with deflector stones, an x-rack accessory rack, ash pan, and bbq tools.

I prefer grilling to smoking. That is why I went with a ceramic. With the BGE the plate setter is a large one piece disk. It really does not set up for an easy to use 2 zone cooking system. With the KJ flexible cooking system, I can have a hot side and a cold side. I liked the versatility of the KJ more than the BGE.

Being a member of various kamado cooking sites, I saw the owner, Bobby Brennan constantly responding to peoples comments and providing his personal number and email if they had questions. He still does this to this date. His lead customer service worker Meghan reviews sites daily, answering warranty issues and helping where she can.

So many customers raved about the quick customer service and warrant support. I saw this regularly.

The warranties for BGE and KJ are very close. They are both lifetime on ceramics so you are covered. Where KJ wins out in my opinion is that you do not pay for shipping and handling with KJ. I had a warranty claim that cost me nothing. With BGE there are fees for replacement parts delivery.

The last reason... I hate green. I liked having the option to choose between black or red. KJ has since discontinued their black versions, however, the red with new black side tables and handle is so amazing to look at. Very nice looking cooker.

So that was my decision process, I wouldnt worry about resale because you will never get rid of it for one. And two the price goes down for both because warranties are not transferable so people are reluctant to take that chance and usually just buy new.

I also would suggest a big joe if you plan on one cooker. The larger area is worth it and with the KJ it comes with a divider to split the fire box for smaller cooks. Bigger in this case is better. And honestly once you start cooking on a ceramic you will be amazed with it. It will become your go to and your other cookers will get neglected. So having the space will prove effective!

good luck and again you really can not go wrong with either cooker, but for me I give the go to KJ

I've got an inexpensive precursor to the Acorn and it works very well and is great for winter cooking. I have a buddy that has a BGE and it certainly is superior in maintaining heat and is easy to use. Nonetheless, I've not been satisfied with either doing long cooks where you want some good smoke penetration like brisket and pork butt. I've supplemented with AmzingTube smoker but actually have found it works much better on the pellet smoker (another animal sometimes criticized for the same issue).

I'm sure you will be happy with either purchase those are both high quality Kamodos There's some trade off that I'm sure willing to make for easy temperature maintenance and Kamados are known for that. Stick burning is just too much work for me anymore. I like my Kamado and pellet smoker!

I'm sure either a BGE or a KJ will fit your needs.
Which ever one you get you will look back and wonder why
it was so hard to make the decision. They are both great cookers.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

Primo XL Oval versus BGE-Mini. Jealousy

Last edited:
I have an AKorn grill and wanted to upgrade to a ceramic grill, so I just went through the same process. I chose the Kamado Joe Big Joe over the BGE and the Primo. To me the difference in quality and engineering on the KJ, plus the fantastic customer service, was undeniable. When you factor in the price, everything comes with the Big Joe and has to be ordered extra on the BGE, so it ends up costing several hundred dollars more then the Big Joe, when they are similarly equipped.

My Big Joe is waiting at the store for the all the snow on my back deck and rear driveway to clear, so I can get it set up. Good luck with your choice. As previously stated, they will both cook great.

Back