Trying a DRY brine in turkey this Thanksgiving -- any tips???

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
I've done many a wet brined bird and am a big proponent of it, but over the years after seeing so many of you rave about the dry brine technique I wanna try it this year.

I just found brother Sir Porkalot's article on it so I've got the basics of salt quantity and time (2-3 hours per lb), but wondering if any of you have any other little tidbits of info for me?

i like to wrap the turkey in plastic wrap after I dry brine it. That way you keep the moisture that the salt pulls from the bird, close to the meat.

Then a few hours before you cook it, remove wrap and let it air dry. This will help the skin to crisp up nicely.

Last edited:
i like to wrap the turkey in plastic wrap after I dry brine it. That way you keep the moisture that the salt pulls from the bird, close to the meat.

Then a few hours before you cook it, remove wrap and let it air dry. This will help the skin to crisp up nicely.

I saw that on your article. Was thinking about a large bag....2 gal ziplock or maybe even trash bag or something.

I usually let my birds air dry for a full 12-24 hours after wet brining. I'm assuming you don't need as long with the dry brine?

Ooooh, also.....

After brining then just season like normal? I usually do an herb butter rub. Stuff with aromatics.

I saw that on your article. Was thinking about a large bag....2 gal ziplock or maybe even trash bag or something.

I usually let my birds air dry for a full 12-24 hours after wet brining. I'm assuming you don't need as long with the dry brine?

Yea any method of enveloping the turkey will work.

I have had great success with 1/2 day worth of air drying when I dry brine.
You will be amazed at how much moisture is pulled back into the bird and how little is left on the exterior at the end of the brining process.

Ooooh, also.....

After brining then just season like normal? I usually do an herb butter rub. Stuff with aromatics.

Yes. That will work fine.
You probably won't need to add anymore salt though.
:becky:

Back