Contest Results Triple Threat

Can't complain when you don't get good scores, just like you can't complain when they give you a higher score... But I can say I had some real head scratching scores. I knew going in there wouldn't be enough experienced judges, but we have to roll the dice.

Congrats to Mike on the GC. Good contest. My only complaint was us needing a 30 amp plug. We should know about that before we pull in. I guess I could complain about the awards as well. But at that loint, all I wanted to do was get out of there. It was not a smooth awards ceremony..

I know it was our first cook of the year, but
As far as being a well run contest, we were under-whelmed. Those tenth of mile walks to the head were brutal.

My only complaint was us needing a 30 amp plug. We should know about that before we pull in. I guess I could complain about the awards as well. But at that loint, all I wanted to do was get out of there. It was not a smooth awards ceremony..

I'm not sure why they filled the gravel lot when there were lots of open sites on grass down on our end that were considerably closer to both the snack bar / ice rink / restroom and the restroom / shower house. The poles down on our end didn't require a 30 amp adapter either. It may have been an electrical capacity issue.

I'm not sure which was more painful, awards or the cook's meeting. There really needs to be a class offered on how to hold a smooth cook's meeting & awards ceremony.

The sit down breakfast in the clubhouse was a nice gesture but between the distance and starting at 7am on turn in day meant that most cooks couldn't take advantage of it.

With a few tweaks this will be a good event, and even with all the issues it was head and shoulders above the last Salisbury event.

Congrats to Aporkalypse Now for GC and Finn's Finest BBQ for RGC, Best of DE and MABA Top DE team. Congrats also to all who walked. We finally got a call in brisket, been a long time since the last one.

I'm not sure which was more painful, awards or the cook's meeting. There really needs to be a class offered on how to hold a smooth cook's meeting & awards ceremony.
Definitely the cooks meeting. It reminded me of the SNL skit with the NPR radio girls and Alec Baldwin promoting his Schweddy Balls.

Last edited:
With a few tweaks this will be a good event, and even with all the issues it was head and shoulders above the last Salisbury event.

In Salisbury last year, people that paid for extra power didn't get it. In our section power was often at 99 volts. Power and water were fine at Triple Threat. Yes, the $30 for a larger spot should have been on the application instead of charging us at the contest for it, and yes, many of the cooks (myself included) had to borrow adapters to hook in to the 30-amp only supplies for a lot of spots. Yes, there was some confusion at awards.

All that, though, it was well run for a first year event, and I would return. I would pick it over Salisbury, if I could only do one - if only because getting a 40 foot RV in and out of the event was much easier at Triple Threat.

Yes, the $30 for a larger spot should have been on the application instead of charging us at the contest for it,
Frankly, with as much money as this event generated they shouldn't have even charged it, we had a Free ride entry from the MABA raffle and they gigged my early arriving teammate for it. He was supposed to get it back, don't know if he ever did with all the chaos after awards.

First and foremost, BIG congrats to Aporkalypse Now on their GC, and Finn's Finest on their RGC! Well deserved.

This being our second comp of the year, we had high hopes of hearing our name other than someone walking by our site and saying our team name was cute, was squashed! Our scores were all over the place, but such is life. Move on!

As for the event in general, I thought it was well run. We have only competed in 12 comps so far. The 30amp outlet took us by surprise, but we got there on Thursday and had plans to make a trip to Wally World anyways. Besides that, our great friend and neighbors Rockin Robyn offered to let us use an adapter they had.

We thought the bathrooms, showers we fine! Wish more comps would provide those amenities.

The breakfast idea was nice, but we could not take advantage of it; our fault for not being better prepared in general. We always count on our own food and if the event does provide food, then that is a plus.

We actually enjoyed the gravel area as I am not a real big fan of grass areas when it rains.

We had a great time, wish we had gotten out to meet other folks, enjoyed shooting the schit with Pepper Monkey, Rockin Robyn and the unexpected Brown Liqueur guy!

We will be back. I am sure Sandy will make adjustments as needed or suggested (I hope she does) to try to accommodate some of the items that folks mentioned.

As for the chefs meeting, I was reminded of the skit on NPR SNL as well. I was almost ready to jump in for another SNL skit where Garret Morris did the SNL Weekend News Update for the hard of hearing. If you are not familiar, google it.

wallace

Back