Too much bark on my ribs????

Cheech and Chong

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Dave
I just cooked 3 racks of spares. They came out pretty good but there was a lot of hard bark. Not burnt, just hard and chewy like. Could it be all the sugar involved?

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

After applying a heavy dose of this rub I add John Henry's cherry rub and wild cherry chipotle rub to the ribs. The John Henry rub is sugar and brown sugar. The last 30 minutes I sauce with Blues Hog.

Is the sugar causing the hard bark? I would like the ribs to be softer.

I did the same thing on the 4th. Too much rub. Tasted good but not a good bite. I will lighten up next time.

Good Luck!

I agree, too much rub. Maybe to high of temp also. I'm still in the 275°ish camp for most things, but chicken.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Try your Rub with NO sugar, no extra rub during the cook, and only glaze with the Sauce at the end. I think you will be pleased with the results. All that Sugar throughout the cook is causing the hard bark.

That’s a lot of sugar compared to the other ingredients in your initial application of rub, let alone the more rub you applied 2x and then sauce. The seasoning should compliment the meat, not turn the meat into a delivery mechanism for rub. :thumb:

Bingo! Well said.

IMO there is no reason for sugar in a rub. It just sits on top and cannot penetrate. When its sauce time, a little sugar might make sense.

So we can agree its the sugar causing the hard bark. I will try some baby back ribs this weekend and use no brown sugar in the rub. I will still add some John Henrys cherry and wild cherry chipotle into the rub because its so damn good and gives you some heat on your lips as you bite into them. I will also spray more apple cider on them during the cook.

... I will also spray more apple cider on them during the cook.
Be careful. Apple juice is basically sugar water. Big molecules like sugar (and maple flavoring) are not absorbed into the meat. They just sit on top and behave however the heat makes them behave. Sugar begins to burn at about 350F.

Sugar can definitely be the cause. Another thought, is the hard bark on the top and bottom of your ribs or just one side? If one side maybe try flipping mid cook.

Back