thread #672 regarding money muscle

masque13

is one Smokin' Farker
for anyone curious, I did an extensive search yesterday researching my question to help prevent starting yet another money muscle thread so dont flame me on this please :becky:

anyway, i know many folks do some significant pre-trimming of their butts to help expose more of the money muscle and what not......we ride the fence on this, at times loving the idea and at times, not fully embracing it. even with our waffling we've managed two calls in pork in five contests. the school/class I attended did not include cutting it back during the trim process.

my question is this, and if I am asking for you to divulge too much of your secret info then I apologize and you can tell me to go fly a kite. :blah:

for those of you who trim it out more then I suppose you will also agree that the exposed part will cook a bit faster than the rest of the butt.....that along with the desire to cut it away at a lower temp than what you want for pulling means it will sit longer before you are ready for slicing into medallions etc..

if you were cooking in the 275-300 range about how long does it take most of you to get the money muscle cooked to the desired temp of your goal? the other day we experimented some and the money muscle turned out great, but I would have been afraid of how long we would have to have held it prior to turn in.....are you guys willing to share a few time lines with me to reassure me on this process? I would greatly appreciate any input. and just so you know, typically on our smoker at our temps we usually are ready to pull the butts off the smoker for resting after 5-6 hours, with the average being 5.5 hours for butts in the 9-10lb range.

thanks in advance for your time and help!

i forgot to mention that our money muscles were about right where we wanted them after about 2.5-3 hours during our experiment......does that seem about right to those of you who do this? and if so, do you feel confident that you can keep the desired temps during rest times with them getting done that much quicker than the rest of the butt?

I hold my MM for 5.5 hrs, it will be hot when I'm ready for turn in.

Now, it really shouldn't matter what everyone else is doing, you need to work on a system that will work for you and how you cook....just my humble opinion.

one of my best pork boxes we did 3 buts. 1 but was strictly to get a good money muscle and was put on after the other 2 so that the mm would be done relatively close to the other 2 buts. we sliced medallions from the but put on later and we used chunks from the 2 that cooked longer. but we do trim away from our mm.

I trim my MM and it is usually where I want it in about 2.5 hours. I keep it in the cambro with the other large meats and it is still warm when ready to make the boxes. I think when I put the brisket and butt in it helps to re-warm and hold.

Back