THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks promising, but I got a 3/8" thick steel pit with 24x48 cook chamber from Bell Fab for $950. I wouldn't pay $750 for that rig. Maybe there is something hidden that makes it worth that price?

1/8" is very thin and the lowest thickness you should go, but, again, not for $750.

They fabricated it themselves, but that thickness had me wondering if it’s really that thin or a typo.. The fire box is 3/16. We have KAT/Murillo smokers which is 2 hrs away, but this is a cheaper option and worth exploring.

Where is the grease drain ? It looks like they've had grease dripping into the firebox and welded a small piece of metal to prevent that. Most are tilted to the stack end and put the grease drain far away from the firebox.

Find a cheap caliper to take with you and check the steel thickness your self. Harbor Frieight was advertising a digital electronic caliper for $45. I'm sure a manual would be much less.

I would think a propane tank is gonna be thicker than 1/8", but that's a small tank, it could've been an air tank.

Where is the grease drain ? It looks like they've had grease dripping into the firebox and welded a small piece of metal to prevent that. Most are tilted to the stack end and put the grease drain far away from the firebox.
Find a cheap caliper to take with you and check the steel thickness your self. Harbor Frieight was advertising a digital electronic caliper for $45. I'm sure a manual would be much less.
I would think a propane tank is gonna be thicker than 1/8", but that's a small tank, it could've been an air tank.

Thanks for the reminder to look for the grease drain! I haven’t received the Harbor Freight advertisements in a while, but I’ll definitely take a look. The smoker is 2 hours away, so just waiting to get clarification. Thanks!

The seller confirmed that it’s only 1/8” and there is a drain plug with a threaded cap. Hopefully $600 won’t offend them.

My first real stick burner was very similar to that smoker. I liked it enough to get hooked on stick burning. I wouldn’t worry about the cook chamber wall thickness too much on that size. Mine ran nice and a good friend has since purchased it and enjoyed it. It definitely appears to be an upgrade from any of the store bought stick burners. Mine definitely was.

I think I paid around 1200 for mine and let it go for around $400 (way too cheap). I think it would be a nice smoker at around $500 here in Tennessee. I could see it being several hundred more out there in Cali.

I see it's in California. Admittedly I don't know about the weather out there but if it's not freezing cold I think 1/8" will be perfectly fine. Corrosion is the biggest enemy to thinner metal but it's not like 1/8" is sheet metal either. $600 cash sounds like a fair offer.

I see it's in California. Admittedly I don't know about the weather out there but if it's not freezing cold I think 1/8" will be perfectly fine. Corrosion is the biggest enemy to thinner metal but it's not like 1/8" is sheet metal either. $600 cash sounds like a fair offer.

I’m from Missouri, so I expect everything to rust. Lol. We get large temperature swings during the summer from the marine layer low 50’s-high 80’s on avg. The “rainy season”(winter) we see high 30’s- high 50’s on average.

I ended up paying $600. Holds temp well but has some door gaps which should be fine with a gasket. I will definitely be using this one for a while.

Attachments

Back