THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MikeJ65

is one Smokin' Farker
I did a non-KCBS contest last week with open garnish rules. I figured I would give the 'parsley princess' a break and had her try two boxes with kale. If you haven't tried it, you can make a nice looking box in about 2 minutes, it holds up well, and doesn't stick to everything. Seems to me like it would be a big hit with both cooks and judges and the only downside I can see would be lower prices for parsley farmers.

Anyone have a good reason not to legalize it?

I see no reason not to. I received a box with kale in it, pointed it out to the table captain, and the reps came back and said it was ok because it was curly parsley (it most certainly was not). So, there's already too much confusion as it is. Go ahead and allow it.

Last edited:
it looks like fresh green leaf lettuce to me. i don't even know if I would spot it as illegal garnish as a judge. maybe I just don't know my vegetables very well. As far as I'm concerned as long as it's something fresh and green why not make it legal? Keep the red tipped stuff illegal.

Would anyone be able to explain to me the spirit of the rule that makes some garnishes illegal?

I'm just curious why kale would be illegal in the first place or why red leaf lettuce is forbidden.

especially since the garnish is not to be judged, why does anyone care what is used. As long as it doesnt clearly mark a box, who cares

I'm OK with limiting it to a green bed of something. No need to put in pineapple slices, oranges, or anything like that, but I don't see the harm of kale. I think I heard one time that it was to differentiate KCBS from MBN, but I don't think that is a valid reason at present.

I'd say if it is green, can be bought in the produce section, and is some sort of leaf, then it should be legal, kale, romaine, iceburg, whatever.

I double-dog dare someone to actually use a 100%, perfectly legal cilantro sometime and I bet that gets called out.

Should have seen the looks or should I say stares the first time my judging table came across a box of Spanish/flat leaf parsley.:icon_blush:

I can't see why kale would be illegal... Now, with the exception of Colorado and Washington, I could understand why this garnish would be a no no:

leaf.jpeg

:cop:

Would anyone be able to explain to me the spirit of the rule that makes some garnishes illegal?

I'm just curious why kale would be illegal in the first place or why red leaf lettuce is forbidden.

I'm sure part of it has to do with making the box identifiable to judges. You could, for example, arrange the red tipped lettuce in a way to make your box stand out to those judges that know your "secret code" or whatever it would be called. At a large contest its pretty small odds that a team's box is going to land on the table that their buddy is judging, but it could happen. But, then again, what do I know. I suppose a team could also make their box identifiable to a judge that is "in on it" by not putting any garnish in at all!

I can't see why kale would be illegal... Now, with the exception of Colorado and Washington, I could understand why this garnish would be a no no:

:cop:

I know you're not supposed to judge the garnish, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple '190' scores if that were used. :thumb:

I know you're not supposed to judge the garnish, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple '190' scores if that were used. :thumb:

Good point my friend... I hadn't thought about that. :loco:

I've never been to a competition, but are they allowed to eat the garnish too? If that was the case and this garnish was used, they might need to add a side of chalupas too. :hungry:

I'm sure part of it has to do with making the box identifiable to judges. You could, for example, arrange the red tipped lettuce in a way to make your box stand out to those judges that know your "secret code" or whatever it would be called. At a large contest its pretty small odds that a team's box is going to land on the table that their buddy is judging, but it could happen. But, then again, what do I know. I suppose a team could also make their box identifiable to a judge that is "in on it" by not putting any garnish in at all!

Incorrect :)

Garnish is not covered under the marking rule.

4.85 Garnish Rosettes
Question: Should an entry be DQ’d for garnish formed into rosettes?
Opinion: No. There is no rule regarding how garnish can be shaped. It is not considered marking.
Approved by KCBS Board of Directors, May 12, 2009

Incorrect :)

Garnish is not covered under the marking rule.

4.85 Garnish Rosettes
Question: Should an entry be DQ’d for garnish formed into rosettes?
Opinion: No. There is no rule regarding how garnish can be shaped. It is not considered marking.
Approved by KCBS Board of Directors, May 12, 2009

Ahhh... thank you for pointing that out! So, hypothetically I could arrange parsley slightly higher at each of the four corners of the box, tell my judging friends that is what I do, and have them be on the lookout for my box. Right?

Ahhh... thank you for pointing that out! So, hypothetically I could arrange parsley slightly higher at each of the four corners of the box, tell my judging friends that is what I do, and have them be on the lookout for my box. Right?

Problems with this are:
Your box hitting your friends table, chances are pretty slim.
Even if it does, it's only one score.
Can you be sure no else has done the same box layout?
Do you as a cook want to cheat?
We judges don't roll that way....
Ed

Back