THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thanks for all the great ideas everyone. can i fit a larger than 12lb turkey using the spatchcock method on a 55 gal uds?

No!..:shock:

Please do not use ANY buckets from Home Depot, or any other stores like
that! These buckets are NOT food grade and WILL leach dangerous
chemical into the Turkey, and any other food.

If there are any "Home Brew" stores near you...the kind of stores that
sell equipment for making Beer yourself...they should have some 5-8 gallon
Food Grade buckets you can buy that are safe to use.

All plastics will leach chemical into the food, but Food Grade plastics wil
keep the leaching process to a very small amount.:thumb:

Thanks Grillman, I'll keep that in mind!

I'm sure that trash bags are not going to be safe...However....most
grocery stores sell some plastic bags for cooing a turkey in the oven.
Those bags will be big enough to put a Turkey in inside a cooler or even
a non safe bucket. I suspect those "Turkey Bags" will be fairly cheep too.

That's probably the cheapest, safest way to go.:thumb:

I think you can find those Turkey cooking bags right next to the
regular food storage bags, like Ziplock, etc.

The oven roasting bags work great for this. They do make a brining bag but they are more expensive. I have put the turkey in brine in the roasting bag, inside a garbage bag (incase of leakage) and into a cooler with ice. I put the cooler in the garage and every time I would go in the garage I would roll the bag to make sure the brine got all over the turkey and the spices didn't stay concentrated in one spot.

Turkey was the first thing I ever smoked. Since I did we have not had an oven roasted turkey since.

Here is how I do it: http://q4fun.blogspot.com/2010/11/smokin-thanksgiving.html

Feel free to use or change as you see fit. just make it good and they'll beg for more.

wow thanks this is a great help. this looks like a great blog you have here. i am going to have to start checking it for more recipes because that thanksgiving meal sounded amazing :thumb:

Back