Texas Turkey Breast

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Never been a huge fan of turkey, but that may have changed. Seen several posts here that looked DELICIOUS! Had to give it a go. Couldn't find boneless breasts anywhere, so picked up a 6lb. bone in breast from Aldi. As a bonus I received two packages of gravy that weighed in at 1lb. :evil:

Deboned and ended up with about 2 3/4 lbs of boneless breasts. Good coat of Peppered Beef with some extra pepper.

YoFjk8Vh.jpg

Figured I give the Meater a go that I picked up from Woot recently. Into the FEC at 275. External temp probe slow to register temp, but it eventually caught up to the Thermoworks Dot.

GRWaMWSh.jpg

About an hour and a half later, they had some good color, so into some foil with butter and more butter.

TC003b1h.jpg

About another 45 minutes in the FEC, then a 40 minute rest. Mmmm, looks pretty good to me...

ekr0ZY9h.jpg

Sliced one up for some snacks...

UiUDRGph.jpg

JUICY! This was the end piece.

9jfkVcPh.jpg

9T0BeqHh.jpg

Had to dunk it in the buttery goodness...

3LvfE5nh.jpg

I may be a convert. This turkey stuff ain't bad at all. Was going to make myself a sandwich, but I just stood at the stove and munched away. Ate almost half of one of the breasts.

Thanks for looking!

Looks like you did all the right steps. Your sliced photo says it all, I love watching people after their first bite.... they can't figure out how the skin is so perfect. :laugh: One gal at work does not eat skin, and she tried to pick it off. Now she uses this method but bakes it in the oven.

Most turkey breasts have some injection (maybe just some broth), but shooting any of the popular injections like Game Changer, Fowl Play, or Kosmo's Chicken Soak will take it up a notch. And if you want more of a deli turkey product, a couple of days in Pop's curing brine will deliver that. I do this with chicken breasts about every 6 weeks and after some smoke time, I pasteurize with SV.

0jKUCmV.jpg

Most turkey breasts have some injection (maybe just some broth), but shooting any of the popular injections like Game Changer, Fowl Play, or Kosmo's Chicken Soak will take it up a notch.
Interesting, may give that a go next time. Yes, there will be a next time.

Beautiful breasts Andy!!!

WAIT!!!

The turkey is what I’m talking about!!!

I’m gonna have to hit our aldi! I shopped me butt of for boneless turkey breasts, but if aldi has bone in that we could magically make “boneless?” IM IN

Beautiful breasts Andy!!!

ShG.gif

but if aldi has bone in that we could magically make “boneless?” IM IN

My initial 6lb bone in breast yielded 44oz of boneless breast. about 2 3/4 lb. Threw out the two "gravy" packets that were 1 lb. and will use the carcass to make some broth. It was under $10, $1.59/lb. so I figured if I screwed it up, not too big of a deal.

Someone here posted a link previously that I followed, it really was pretty easy. I'll look for it and post it.

Brethren scp posted the link I followed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz7JcwzxKBw

Last edited:
Looks killer Andy! I've been a convert ever since I had Franklin's turkey breast.

Bravo on that cook. I too am a convert although I still enjoy a whole bird too. All thanks to Sako too

Congrats on those jumbo yardbird breasts. My girls love ‘en so I cook an pretty often. Looks like you figured it out pretty quick.

Back