THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
It's less than 60 days until The Guinea Pig contest put on by Big Poppa Smokers, and wanted to play around with some new flavors for this year.

Was only planning on doing chicken yesterday, but when at the store they had a piece of brisket point which was screaming for me to buy it. It was just under 3lbs with a nice even thickness

100_0013.jpg

Seasoned it with Simply Marvelous' Peppered Cow and Big Poppa Smokers Cash Cow

100_0015.jpg

100_0019.jpg

Put it on the UDS running 285 (lower rack) with KBB and a Comp Blend Mojobrick

Testing out 3 rub combinations for thighs. 1) homemade rub and Oakridge Dominator, 2) Bigmista's Chicken Scratch and The Spice Doctors Sweet Heat, and 3) Twisted Belly "Get Twisted" All Purpose Rub and Cucamonga Cattle Company Prairie Dust

Split up a 1/2 hotel pan with dividers so I could cook 4 of each type

100_0022.jpg

Homemade and Oakridge
100_0024.jpg

Bigmista and Spice Doctors
100_0025.jpg

Twisted Belly and Cucamonga Cattle Company
100_0026.jpg

These got some pats of butter, and on the upper rack uncovered for 1hr

100_0027.jpg

Covered tightly with foil and returned for another hour. Around the same time, pulled the brisket and foiled with some low sodium beef broth, worchestershire and more Cash Cow. This was about 2hr 45min unwrapped.

100_0031.jpg

Chicken pulled after 1hr, and they really shrunk up
100_0033.jpg

It was now obvious that I was too generous with the amount of rub applied to the top, as it never melted down sufficiently, and created too much of a crust

100_0034.jpg

100_0035.jpg

100_0036.jpg

Sauced 2 of each type and put into a clamshell for 10min to replicate competition conditions. Homemade/Oakridge left, Bigmista/Spice Doctors middle, Twisted Belly/Cucamonga Cattle Company right

100_0038.jpg

100_0039.jpg

100_0040.jpg

100_0041.jpg

Due to the thick coating of rub, the sauce didn't apply as smoothly, and had a darker color than I wanted. My wife liked the homemade/Oakridge chicken the best, I liked the Twisted Belly/Cucamonga Cattle Company. There was just too much heat in the Bigmista/Spice Doctors for comp chicken.

When the brisket point was probe tender, it got put into a cooler for a few hours to rest and relax. Once it was finally cut up, my patience was rewarded

100_0042.jpg

100_0043.jpg

100_0046.jpg

This brisket was spectacular. The flavor combination of Peppered Cow and Cash Cow is wonderful. There was a magical balance between salty, spicy and savory - but ultimately it was beefy.

Back