THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Has anybody calibrated a Tel-Tru BQ300? I just ordered two and one of them reads 10 degrees low in boiling water. I found two sets of instructions on their site but neither seem to make sense with the model I have.

Thanks,

Matt

I've owned many and have never seen one off that badly from new .... I've had only one fail after many years ....

If you have the BQ300, chances are you cannot re-adjust as the 'bq' series only just recently added an upgraded version that can be recalibrated.

There should be an allen wrench fitting below the backside of the dial normally on the right side. If you have that then yes you can .... if you don't see that ... then send back and they will quickly give you another.

It would be a BQ300R ... R for recalibrate .... that would be the one that can be recalibrated.
Even thought I always have ordered those that can recalibrate, I've never had to do it ....

I like to order mine directly from Tel Tru, I get the upgraded stainless steel and the shatter proof glass as well as the 'R' and these days I go with the 9" stem.
..... all of that is about ~ $86.

Here is exactly what I purchase:

34100963BKLCAAA
GT300R Back Connect Thermometer, 3 inch dial with calibration feature, 316SS wetted parts
9 inch stem
50/400 degrees F
316SS dry
1/2 inch NPT connection
.250 inch stem diameter, blunt tip
Shatterproof Glass
Back Connect
±1% accuracy
Packaging

Last edited:
Has anybody calibrated a Tel-Tru BQ300? I just ordered two and one of them reads 10 degrees low in boiling water. I found two sets of instructions on their site but neither seem to make sense with the model I have.

Thanks,

Matt

Keep in mind that the temperature that water boils is dependent upon your elevation as well as mineral content of the water. So it is possible that water will boil at a lower temperature (elevation probably doesn't affect you in Oregon).

Also if they are bi-metal coil, they can take a minute or two to properly register. If you look at the specifications for the thermometer, there is a +/- variance for an accuracy tolerance percentile, some are at 2% while others cheaper units can be up to 10%. Having one high and one low would also make the difference seem greater.

The good news is that just as "Offset1968" indicated, some are adjustable to your calibrations, otherwise i would call the manufacturer for information.

FT__15.09.11_boilingPoint.png

Last edited:
Back