TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

Am I crazy for buying in this year to the heritage breed hype? I have a new cooker this year, the election is over and I wanted to try something new. I ordered a 20# free range, drug free heritage breed. I am not sure the breed yet but it is coming from a farm in NC. I plan to brine and smoke on the shirley.

Anyone considering no brine just smoking, it can be done and still produces a really good and juicy bird. All these got was some olive oil and black pepper (no pepper on the one breast since customer didn't want it). Then into a 325-ish cooker. Mentioning this only for those like myself that are kinda lazy....love cooking but don't want it to be too complicated....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Last edited:
I've never brined or injected a bird and have always had really good results.
This year though, I'm using @SirPorkaLot's harvest dry brine! And have been toying with the idea of injecting also. Any thought's on that?
(2 birds...one on the WSM, the other in the Big Easy)

I've brined a turkey twice in 20 + years, when I tried Patio Daddio's brine, and another one someone posted here. To me, it made no detectable difference, besides being saltier. Cooking on my kettle, I've never had a dry bird, although spatchcocking does take the worry out of timing, for me.
Many, I've just rubbed the skin with sesame oil, salt and pepper it, and onto the grill. Last Sun, I spatchcocked one, cut the skin over the breast bone, pealed it back, and rubbed the meat. I then pulled the skin back over the breast, pinned it with toothpicks, and onto the grill.

Fried turkey for us this year. Just got the Creole Butter injectable marinade for it. Was not planning on brining since I will be injecting. Haven't made a call yet whether I should rub it or shmear some compund butter under the skin? Any suggestions?

And good idea for starting this thread!:thumb:

I've done deep fired turkeys for several years, and have done compound butter under the skin once. I found it wasn't worth the effort. Just season it above and below the skin and in the cavity, then fry it. The butter really isn't needed because the frying keeps those juices locked in.

Anyone considering no brine just smoking, it can be done and still produces a really good and juicy bird. All these got was some olive oil and black pepper (no pepper on the one breast since customer didn't want it). Then into a 325-ish cooker. Mentioning this only for those like myself that are kinda lazy....love cooking but don't want it to be too complicated....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

How big was your bird and how long of a cook at 325*?

Great looking bird BTW

Simple has it's backers.
Anthony Bourdain's Thanksgiving turkey
Ingredients

One 14-pound turkey, neck reserved for stock and giblets reserved for stuffing
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Kosher salt
Pepper

How to make this recipe

Preheat the oven to 425°. Set a V-shape rack in a roasting pan. Brush the turkey all over with the butter and season with salt and pepper. Set the turkey in the rack breast side up and add 2 cups of water to the pan. Roast the turkey for about 2 hours, basting occasionally, until golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 165°. Transfer the turkey on the V rack to a baking sheet and let rest for 30 minutes. Pour the pan drippings into a bowl and reserve for the stuffing. Carve the turkey, arrange on a platter and serve.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/anthony-bourdains-business-turkey

Those birds look absolutely golden and beautiful!! You just rub the skin with Olive Oil, you said??

Am I crazy for buying in this year to the heritage breed hype? I have a new cooker this year, the election is over and I wanted to try something new. I ordered a 20# free range, drug free heritage breed. I am not sure the breed yet but it is coming from a farm in NC. I plan to brine and smoke on the shirley.

We used to do the heritage breed, never frozen, yadda yadda. I didn't notice any difference to the "Natural's" from Kroger, which is what I bought on Tues. 2 14lb birds for $30 total.

Well I found a 25lb Butterball to cook for my crowd of 12+ people & it's now chillaxin' in the fridge till Wed/Thurs to then be brined for Fri cooking. Thoughts on how long I'd be smoking it at 300ish+/-. I've never done one this big

I'm all for eating foods that haven't been loaded up with chemicals, hormones, etc. If you like dark meat (I do but my wife and kids don't...) then it's pretty compelling. But for me it comes down to price. If you can get it for $5/lb, maybe. $8/lb? ~$100 for a turkey (to me) is crazy.

This year I ordered an organic free range bird for $4/lb, and this will be the most I've ever spent. Ask me in a week if it was worth it. ;-)

I have 2 food safe buckets that I used to brine turkeys a few years ago I cleaned them after I used them and put the lids back on I would think a wash with soap and water would be good to use again

I have 2 food safe buckets that I used to brine turkeys a few years ago I cleaned them after I used them and put the lids back on I would think a wash with soap and water would be good to use again
After a few years, I'd sterilize them. There's been plenty of time for anything you missed to recover. Then they should be good to go.

Back