TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

Just a quick question (ok 3 quick questions), I've been doing my T-Day turkey on my WSM for years and have always used the top cooking grate. Several videos on YouTube show folks using the middle cooking grate. Which grate do you use? and if you use the middle grate and have switched from the top grate, why? and have you noticed any difference?

Just a quick question (ok 3 quick questions), I've been doing my T-Day turkey on my WSM for years and have always used the top cooking grate. Several videos on YouTube show folks using the middle cooking grate. Which grate do you use? and if you use the middle grate and have switched from the top grate, why? and have you noticed any difference?

I've not cooked a turkey on a WSM myself.
I know on my ECB the top rack is a little hotter than the bottom.
If it were me, I'd put the bird on the top rack since that's closest to the thermometer and would give me a more accurate reading.

I really don't know that it would matter all that much. If one's hotter than the other, it'll just cook a little quicker.

How high can you get your WSM? I always have had trouble getting Dan's WSM above 275 or so unless I leave the lid not sealed all the way. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I can get mine up to 335-345, but I can usually dial it in at or very near to 325 for the entire cook.

Bone in breast, even on low heat will cook FAST! First time out, you are better off cooking to temp and not time. I don't recall exactly, but for planning purposes, I'm pretty sure it's less than 2 hours when i do them on my drum.

Going to smoke a 7lb turkey breast on the new UDS for Christmas. Do you guys have any suggestions on an injection? I have some Tony Chatchers Creole Butter what do you think about it? Going to smoke @325 more or less so i figure about 2.5hrs does that sound about right?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Lawdog

Bone in breast, even on low heat will cook FAST! First time out, you are better off cooking to temp and not time. I don't recall exactly, but for planning purposes, I'm pretty sure it's less than 2 hours when i do them on my drum. I'm a fan of the butter/rub mix slathered under and on the skin. When injecting, less is more. Have fun!

Unpacked my test turkey today and got it in the brine. Planning to pull / rinse / dry it tomorrow and cook it Sunday. Went with a Cajun seasoning since this will be used for sandwiches...

we are going to smoke a turkey for the first time, my question: my smoker will hold 2 14 lb turkeys, at what temp and how long would I have to smoke them?

Bruce, I have cooked a 22 lb turkey in my 18-inch WSM before by using a lower grate and standing it up on end, sorta like a beer-can chicken. I used one of the mods on Virtual Weber Bullet site to have a middle grate about 4 inches above the lower grate – turkey went on middle grate and to catch the juices I put a pan with stock and veggies on the lower grate. I just felt that if I used the upper grate that a big bird would be hugging the grimy inside of the lid.

I don't feel up to handling 2 whole birds this year so I'm simplifying things by doing turkey parts (breasts and thighs) using a recipe from America's Test Kitchen, first 20 minutes at 500 in oven then rest of time in smoker. I've done this before and it turns out great.

I spatchcocked a 10 lb turkey today. It was unbrined, rubbed under the skin with a Greek rub recipe I found on the Net, and cooked indirect at 350 deg for about 2 hours till the breast was 160 deg, the thighs at 180 deg. Quite moist, in fact my wife was surprised how moist.
spachedturkey_zps7996e11e.jpg

^Nice! By any chance could you post the Greek rub recipe or a link? Sounds intriguing.
Thank you.
Greek Seasoning Blend

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons salt -I use kosher
1 teaspoon basil
1 tsp sage
1 tsp oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in blender, grind to a fine powder, and store in an airtight container.
I plan on using granulated onion and garlic in the future.

we are going to smoke a turkey for the first time, my question: my smoker will hold 2 14 lb turkeys, at what temp and how long would I have to smoke them?

Well, if it were ME, I'd run the smoker at about 350 degrees and plan on taking about 3 hoursish.

I usually just rely on something like THIS to determine cook time. Easily found on google.

I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times but here goes anyway :).

1. Can you or is there any more benefit to brining an enhanced bird such as a butterball or is it best to find an unenhanced bird?

2. If you brine can you still inject? What if you brined an enhanced bird? Can you still inject? I usually just use something like Cajun butter.

I'd like to see what the brine crazy is about this year and try it.

1. Can you or is there any more benefit to brining an enhanced bird such as a butterball or is it best to find an unenhanced bird?

2. If you brine can you still inject? What if you brined an enhanced bird? Can you still inject? I usually just use something like Cajun butter.

Yes you can brine an enhanced bird. I do it all the time.
Keep in mind that brining is about equilibrium. So if you have a turkey with no salt and you soak it in a salt solution (brine) what happens is that the salt (and anything else with it) will equalize between the brine and the bird.

If you use a weak brine, it will still equalize but the bird won't end up as salty. If you use a strong brine, you'll end up with a saltier finish product.

SO, if you start with a bird that's been enhanced and a brine solution, you'll end up with something that's at equilibrium between the two. What happens is that the brine just won't change the bird AS MUCH since it's already started along the way of the salt with the enhancing injection. It will STILL help it, however, and it certainly won't hurt anything.

As far as injecting with butter or whatever, you can always do this in addition to brining. If it were me, I'd just be careful about using an injection with TOO much flavor as you're already getting some flavor from the brine and enhancement. I prefer to inject with butter just before putting on the smoke.

An enhanced bird has already been injected with a solution that contains salt and sodium phosphate. A brine would affect the skin and surface of the meat.
I rub under the skin of an enhanced bird with good results.

I did a test run last weekend. Brined an enhanced bird, injected it, let it sit in the fridge over night to dry the skin, rubbed it, and smoked it. Turned out great, including the skin...

I never have much success trying to get rub or what not under the skin. Anyone have a good tutorial? I usually keep my turkey pretty simple. Baste the outside with butter, salt, and pepper.

I never have much success trying to get rub or what not under the skin. Anyone have a good tutorial? I usually keep my turkey pretty simple. Baste the outside with butter, salt, and pepper.

You can use your hands or even a spoon to gently separate the skin from the meat. I like to use a compound butter under the skin, but keep it pretty simple. IE: salt, pepper, garlic only. If the butter is slightly warm so it can be easily spread it will help.

Don't expect huge changes, but I do think it adds some flavor and possibly moisture. Also helps crisp the skin along with the oil/butter rubbed on the outside.

I just start at the rear where the processor opened up the carcass, working my fingers in. Sometime, on a turkey, I need to use a pair of scissors to clip the connecting tissue. On a spatckcocked bird, you can cheat by cutting the skin up the breast bone and peel the skin to the sides, exposing the breast, legs, and thighs. You then rub the meat and use toothpicks to reattach the skin. There is plenty of skin to overlap.

Back