Tagwood BBQ?

Matto6

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
Is anyone familiar with Tagwood BBQ Argentine Santa Maria grills?

In particular the BBQ03SS and the BBQ01SS?

I'm really tempted to buy of these. I'm looking for a wood/charcoal grill and these look great and will fit perfectly in the space I have. I love the brasero for getting coals ready while you cook. And I love the idea of being completely stainless steel. I like the idea of the S03 so it's shorter when in storage, but the S01 is cheaper and seems more functional for what I want to do with it.

But I'm finding damn near zero discussion of these anywhere on the internet. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they even a real company? :caked:

I have not used a Tagwood, but when I was shopping for a wood fire grill a couple months ago, I considered one. The main diff I see in your models is that the 03SS can raise the grate higher than the 01SS model, which may have some advantages for low and slow. But with the brassero, you will be using coals/embers so the extra height may not be needed. And then again, the 01SS has a lid. So this or that.

I ended up buying a Santa Maria grill (Sunterra). The main diff here is that while Argentinian grills (like Tagwood) are designed to use coals/embers, the Santa Maria grills are designed to also use live fire. And I like a little kiss of flame on my grilling. Also the Tagwood grills do not have the Argentinian V-channel grates.
But the brasseros would be fun, so this or that.

You will enjoy any of these.

I ended up buying a Santa Maria grill (Sunterra).

I haven't stumbled upon Sunterra yet. Cool company. When I checked out their site I was impressed with the prices and variety of cookers.

Their 3/16" offsets are reasonably priced, too. I like the little heavy duty hibachi.

OP - You should check them out, they have similar cookers to Tagwood: https://www.sunterraoutdoor.com/

Sorry I have no experience with Tagwood and haven't heard of anyone who owns one.

I ended up buying a Santa Maria grill (Sunterra). The main diff here is that while Argentinian grills (like Tagwood) are designed to use coals/embers, the Santa Maria grills are designed to also use live fire. And I like a little kiss of flame on my grilling.

Nice. How are you liking the Sunterra? I looked at them at one point but concluded I preferred the Tagwood more.. but I can't remember why so clearly I need to look again.

Also the Tagwood grills do not have the Argentinian V-channel grates.
Actually the BBQ03SS comes with them as an option you can specify when ordering.

And I like a little kiss of flame on my grilling. [..] But the brasseros would be fun, so this or that.

Yeah there are some who are passionate about cooking with embers, and others just go for flames. I don't know enough yet to know which I prefer.
The flames don't blacken the food?

But What I liked about the brasero is that it gives me options. The brasero doesn't stop me from tossing some wood chunks under the food.

Nice. How are you liking the Sunterra?

Yeah there are some who are passionate about cooking with embers, and others just go for flames. I don't know enough yet to know which I prefer.
The flames don't blacken the food?

But What I liked about the brasero is that it gives me options. The brasero doesn't stop me from tossing some wood chunks under the food.

I like the Sunterra. It's built like a tank. And they also make grills with braseros. But these types of grills definitely are more work than just using a Weber kettle, take longer to get started, use more fuel, and require more attention/tending.

I chose the S.M. because I wanted the same type of open fire cooking I was getting at my campfire. And yes, cooking directly over fire can burn your food, but that's what the adjustable grate is for. Raise it up to get the temperature you want. The live fire also gives a little more smoky flavor than coals. But like you said, a brasero does give you a different option.

Here is a video (with some fingerpicking accompaniment) where you can see one of my cooks on the S.M.

Check out Arizona BBQ Grill world a well. Most of their standard models are bigger than what you're looking at but they will customize to your specs. I have their brick lined argentinian grill and it's my favorite cooker now. https://www.azbbqgrills.com/

Mine does have a brasserro, but I do live fire cooking with it as well.

Anyone else have feedback on Tagwood BBQ grills?

I'm still thinking of getting the BBQ03SS, but can't seem to pull the trigger given the lack of feedback.

Did you check YT? There are a couple of comments on them there and some “review” videos.

Not much, but something.

Check out Arizona BBQ Grill world a well. Most of their standard models are bigger than what you're looking at but they will customize to your specs. I have their brick lined argentinian grill and it's my favorite cooker now. https://www.azbbqgrills.com/

Mine does have a brasserro, but I do live fire cooking with it as well.

I actually had and sold a Arizona Kingsman, to be honest I wasn't impressed with it. The function was great, but it was out of square in multiple places. The lid was square but the bottom wasn't so it never shut properly.

Wouldn't order one again for the price, the welds, fabrication, and paint finish need to be better.

I actually had and sold a Arizona Kingsman, to be honest I wasn't impressed with it. The function was great, but it was out of square in multiple places. The lid was square but the bottom wasn't so it never shut properly.

Wouldn't order one again for the price, the welds, fabrication, and paint finish need to be better.

Hmmm... I have the brick-lined argentinian grill; it doesn't have a lid but the construction and paint are all 1st rate.

Back