Sundayfunday Hot N Fast Butt

nachos4life

Take a breath!
Hey all! Picked up a butt for 99cents per lb the other day. Decided to fire up the WSM which hasn't been seeing much action lately. Injected this dude with Sweet Smoke Q juice. Slathered with some cheap yellow mustard. Applied some BPS Sweet Money Rub and some Smokin Guns Hot and threw it on the 18.5" WSM at around 350 deg. My WSM likes to cook at 250-275 so I had to make some adjustments for it to settle in around 325. I put the door on upside down and propped it open a small bit and that worked. Used a mix of lump and KBB with some apple chunks.

It was done and tender in 6 hours with an IT around 205 in parts (let it rest for an hour and a half after) and was fantastic! The pic of the pulled in the tray below makes it look a bit dry, but it was not. The injection was awesome. Very flavorful throughout and juicy. Used a mix of a homemade Tennessee red type sauce and my regular sauce recipe on slider buns with slaw. Oh and the money muscle was out of this world. No pics because my wife and I scarfed it down so fast. Great dinner rounded out with some corn casserole and local IPA from the brewery a couple blocks down the road.

cheers!

\
couple hours in...

bad pic but the meat was super moist

toasted slider bun with slaw and a bit of sauce

Thanks for your post, I've heard of the hotnfast brisket, but not butts, I'll try it next weekend, I usually do a 250 overnite in the lectric smoker, this time I'll fire up the WSM.

Looks great I like cooking hot and fast, I usually cook mine around 300. :thumb:

Curious are you putting water in the pan? I ask because I don't and I have no problem running mine at 300-350 with one vent open and a second vent partially open.

Looks great I like cooking hot and fast, I usually cook mine around 300. :thumb:

Curious are you putting water in the pan? I ask because I don't and I have no problem running mine at 300-350 with one vent open and a second vent partially open.

I do usually put water in the pan. Maybe half full just out of habit. I am sure it does effect the temp. I have kept it empty and foiled doing some higher heat wings before. I was running vents all wide open this time. Could be that I didn't light as many coals as I usually do too...

Back