Stupid Assassin Grill

Called Assassin earlier this week and talked to Jeff about the Assassin Grill as I had a few question about how the Grill would perform when cooking indirect.

Told me he likes to fill the first 17" of the Charcoal Basket lighting a couple of Briquettes/Lump on the end and that gives hime about a 5 hour burn time at around 250. You can fill it all the way up, that's just what he likes todo, it'sl easy to add more fuel.

Stated that the temperatures are even throughout the cook chamber when using the Water Pan/Heat Diverter and it's easy to set and maintain consistent temperatures.

I asked if they were going to start selling something smaller than the 24 Gravity Fed Smoker for backyard enthusiasts, told me they are going to make a 17" Gravity Fed Smoker that will come in just under 2K and that includes a ATC.

I've been looking at the smaller Cabinet Smokers to replace my WSM, the Assassin Grill is much more in line with what I'd like to spend and I could not only sell the WSM but the Performer as well. I wish I could keep them all but I have limited space on my Patio.

Still thinking about a Cabinet Smoker but I'm really leaning heavily towards the Assassin Grill.

Visit to Macon last week...

I was down in Macon last week, spending 4 hours at the Assassin plant. I have some comments and photos for you. This was a very eye-opening four hours for me.
1. It is hot in Macon, GA in August.
2. I have spent the last year looking closely at all the different smokers of all shapes and sizes – this is the most bang-for-your-buck out there.
3. Someone asked about efficiency etc. Both Brad Sweet (see below) and the owner Jeff Conley advise that the full tray is rarely, if ever used, that half the tray only is sufficient, even for long burns.
4. Photo #1: The unit all opened up.
5. Photo #2: This stuff is a heavyweight build (335lbs).
6. Photo #3: Brad Sweet from 92BBQ, current State Champions for GA (GBA), in front of their competition trailer.
7. Photo #4: Option= removable shelves, uses lugs instead of fixed brackets. Seen here on the 92BBQ competition trailer.
8. Photo #5: Option= slotted diffuser, especially useful as only half the tray is used for burning coals, generally the half closest to the fire-door.
9. Photo # 6: Option= ATC extension, used to attach the blower/fan, shown here held manually in place.
10. It is hot in Macon in August.

Attachments

• 1.FullSmoker.jpg
    1.FullSmoker.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 2.HeavyDutyTrays.jpg
    2.HeavyDutyTrays.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 656
  • 3.CompetitionSetup.jpg
    3.CompetitionSetup.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 653
  • 4.RemovableShelves.jpg
    4.RemovableShelves.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 652
  • 5.SlottedDiffuser.jpg
    5.SlottedDiffuser.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,515
  • 6.ATC_Extension.jpg
    6.ATC_Extension.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 654
how does the diffuser mount in the grill?

Look at the second of my pictures, the one with the three trays slid out. The bottom is the ash tray, the middle is the fire tray, the top is the waterpan/diffuser. The slotted diffuser (picture 5) replaces the standard waterpan/diffuser, slides in in an inverted V. The slotted end would be inserted first. Did I explain that clearly?

I've got a quote coming my way for shipping out to California. If it doesn't cost as much as the cooker this thing will be on order. I might stretch it like Hogcooker did and order the v-pan.

So far I'm still loving the assassin grill.

Monday I cooked two spatchcock chickens, some bratwurst, and a pile of fresh squash. Everything came out great - the stretched grill is great, plenty of room to move things on and off the heat.

I have been using Jeff's suggestion to run a few small snakes of charcoal from front to back on the grill to keep it from getting too hot too quickly - works like a charm.

I'm still waiting for someone to post a review on using the grill for indirect cooks like Ribs, Butt's or Brisket. Interested to see how it holds temps without an ATC, how even temps are across the grates and how sensitive the grill is to temp spikes after the door has been opened then closed.

I'm still waiting for someone to post a review on using the grill for indirect cooks like Ribs, Butt's or Brisket. Interested to see how it holds temps without an ATC, how even temps are across the grates and how sensitive the grill is to temp spikes after the door has been opened then closed.

I'd love to see this too. This appears to be a great value.

Back