THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Been wanting to make Babi Guling again for ages... Now that I have this rotisserie built in my fire pit, I finally got off my duff and made it again.

The recipe comes from Steven Raichlen.. Babi Guling is Balinese roast pig that has been stuffed with a delicious spice paste.. Since I'm fresh out of small pigs, I used a 4lb shoulder.. Now Babi Guling doesn't typically have sausage in it, BUT there's a double meat throwdown going on, so I stuffed my pork with a smoked beef sausage. Nothing fancy, but with as explosive as this paste is, I didn't want go too nuts.. Players - Peppers are an inferno, some serranos, a habenero, and some jalapenos, all from the garden.

Here's the recipe

4 large shallots, peeled
4 to 8 Thai chiles or 2 to 4 jalapenos
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped fresh turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon chopped fresh galangal or additional ginger
3 stalks fresh lemongrass, trimmed and finely chopped (about 1/4 cup), or 3
strips lemon zest
1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)

I know my processor looks overloaded.. I made a double batch of paste, saving some for later... Anyway, prepped the whole list and put it in the processor (or you can use a mortar and pestle if you're a glutton for punishment) and grind to a paste

Heated up a little oil in a skillet and fried the paste for 5 minutes or so..

I let my paste cool back to room temp while I prepped the shoulder

Butterflied and bone removed, cut slits to pack with paste

After paste cooled

Added Sausage and a strip of smoked pepper cheese

Trussed it up

Stuck it on the spit, pasted the outside

Put it on the spinner over a hickory/cherry fire

Roasted some corn and a pepper for salad

Oh yea!

Done and resting, smells awesome

Time to eat! Plated with a corn salad and some jasmine rice.

This did not suck! The sausage was a perfect fit, and the jasmine rice fit right in too. Great plate of grub. Thanks for looking

Last edited:
I betcha each District is Different,
How hot was yours , the sauces are classed as Tourist, Girls and then Locals:thumb:

Ha ha ha. I'd love to say locals, but it's probably girls at best.. I always end up throttling it back a bit for the kids. This was a pretty spicy batch, but I'm sure it's nothing like what would be deemed "local".

Back