Steve from the North Quabbin area in North Central Mass

Steve81

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Steve
Hi all, This is going to be a long intro so you kind of know my background and tolerate my un-informed questions. Was a smart alic kid in school and when a social studies teacher said this was the land of opportunities, I raised my hand and ask “then why are there poor people?” What he said was very good. His reply was “because not all opportunities are pleasant.” So during my life have taken a number of unpleasant opportunities and most of them involved long commutes averaging 4 hour over 30 years.

This brings to the smoking forum and extremely impressed with the people with the ugly barrel with the home made spray booth and making a beautiful smoker. Time has passed me by and will not be that handy. Had some very tasty meat at a local pub that was smoked and wanted to learn.

Have spoken to several people about smoking and went out on web and at home depot and purchased a Dyna-Glo propane smoker for under $150 on clearance. Don’t stone me for the propane smoker as wanted something that would not take lots of attention as feeding it and keeping the temperature right and on an under $200 budget.

Here is/was my starter advise:

• Start with equal amounts of Italian dress and Worchester and marinate for 3 days.
• Start with 1 table spoons of each and then adjust afterwards to your tastes and put on two hours before estimated finishing time
o Onion Powder
o Garlic Powder
o Black Pepper
o Brown sugar
o Celery Salt
o McCormick Season Salt

• Tip also take the thermometer off and bring in during the winter – sub freezing temperatures break the spring.
• Drill a hole in the bottom door.
• Buy a thermometer at Walmart similar to but shorter than a turkey thermometer.
• Also one of those point and read thermometers are good.
• Buy a sugar shaker to apply
• Another suggestion is to experiment with a lesser price cut of meat than rib perhaps should try a shoulder or pork butts.
• BJ sells really good ribs and something called a 2 to one with 2 real big pieces and the rest smaller.
• Also note the feeling is that hickory is really strong and to use cherry or the Crab apple tree will be good but the greener the better. Thinking mixing the hickory and crab apple and with lesser meat as chicken and turkey no hickory.

Have cooked two pork butts and one set of ribs and based on a lot of very positive review have order the smallest sample package from oakridgebbq, which the take orders on Monday's and then make them up and ship them out. There was two stores within 100 mile, one in Conn and one in RI.

Thank you all for that advise and really looking forward to using them.

Assuming the italian dressing for the vinegar to break down the meat is good advise but think one or two days should be enough. Please chime in here and still plan on marinating for a few days with the 50-50 dressing and worchester sauce.

Other stuff learning is while the temperature given for meat to be safe will not produce a good taste, but should bring the temp up to 190-195 to break down the fat. To use the rub when putting into the smoker and then after 3-4 hours, if there is no more smoke 3 hours or 4 hours if still smoking, take the temp, more rub and cover with tin foil.

Told you this would be long and correct our add another suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20181007_133310.jpg
    20181007_133310.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Steve from sunny SE Arizona. Nothing wrong with a propane smoker, I bought one for my son since they are in the military and it's easy to move, he makes some great Que on it.

Welcome aboard Steve, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Thanks guys - EricD. I fudge my true location and age because of the 1984 complex. Actual live in Athol by the Tully River/brook and grew up in Medway.

Welocme to the asylum!

Take a look around and if you have questions please feel free to contact the moderator team or our senior members. Their names are color coded so you can recognized them.

Also, each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post.

Finally, please review our rules! They are pretty straight forward, but looking at them up front may help to eliminate problems later :-D

Oh! Don't forget to add your name to the Brethren Map, located at the top of this Cattle Call forum.

Most important, have fun and join in our conversations and share and learn!

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

@Steve81, small world! I grew up in Holliston (class of 89). My first wife....now known as the Womb Donor...was from Medway.
I think I've kayaked the Tully river. Is there some whitewater there?

Welocme aboard!!

Just drove by Framingham on my way to pick up the T at Riverside for a trip to Fenway.

And Athol isn't too far from Rindge NH where it looks like my son will be going to college.

Hi EricD and gsmith. Think you were in Zoar on the Deerfield, which feeds into the Connecticut. Live next to the Tully just before merging with the Millers, which also feeds the Connecticut. Or perhaps further downstream in Charlemont. Zoar Outdoor Adventure Resort

Last edited:
Back